What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi, just bought new ipad2 ~ talk me into keeping it

Reaction score
Graywolf, Touch Wiz is a firmware update.
I've got a question.
If one does a jailbreak, does all the custom changes, updates to another jailbroken version, does one need to reset the tweaks? Iow, is it like a hard reset to the user settings?

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Graywolf, Touch Wiz is a firmware update.
Didn't know that. :)

I've got a question.
If one does a jailbreak, does all the custom changes, updates to another jailbroken version, does one need to reset the tweaks? Iow, is it like a hard reset to the user settings?

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Yes. But I use pkgbackup which acts like iTunes for all the tweaks and stuff. Backs it up and restores it if you need to.

Reaction score
Thanks. So basically a hack is a hack is a hack, just different ways to back up beforehand?

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad doesn't need to be sold to you you either love it or don't! Having said that I guess it depends on what you want the tablet to do. Figure that out and you will know which one to keep. :)

Reaction score
Thanks. So basically a hack is a hack is a hack, just different ways to back up beforehand?

Support Our Troops!!

What?

Btw, my grandmother lives like 5 miles away from you. :)

Let me rephrase . Getting into the root system is getting into the root system, no matter the platform. I didn't mean hack in a derogitory way.
PM her name. I might know her and can tell her how her grand child is helping me with this new fangle technology stuff :D

Support Our Troops!!

Reaction score
iPad doesn't need to be sold to you you either love it or don't! Having said that I guess it depends on what you want the tablet to do. Figure that out and you will know which one to keep. :)

The problem is they love both equally .
I was in the same boat but wasn't up against a return window so I had more time to decide. My decision ended up being based on a year from now vs today and I personally didn't see the aggression from Apple to advance, but that's just me and not meant to attempt to persuade anyone in any direction. A year from now I see Apple and Android as going in totally opposite directions and at the fork in the road chose Android.
I believe with the stated uses by the op that either direction they choose at the fork will be the correct one for them.

Support Our Troops!!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Support Our Troops!!

What?

Let me rephrase . Getting into the root system is getting into the root system, no matter the platform. I didn't mean hack in a derogitory way.
PM her name. I might know her and can tell her how her grand child is helping me with this new fangle technology stuff :D

Support Our Troops!!

I just didn't get the "backup beforehand".

But, yes. A hack is a hack is a hack. Just different ways of getting there.

Reaction score
What?

Support Our Troops!!

On my desktop before doing any major changes I backup my stuff , on my phone and Tab before any major changes I backup, on my ipad before a sync it backs up is what I meant. I didn't know if/how possible for jail break
Sorry.

Support Our Troops!!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, you can always jailbreak the iPad...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

As far as I know (and I, too, may be wrong) you cannot "jailbreak the iPad" if you're running the most recent version of the operating system. At least not at the present time.

You can jailbreak iPad 1 on any version.

Really? Thanks for the clarification. I must admit that I don't quite understand how that would be possible since I assumed that the OS is identical on both generations of iPads, but I'll take your word for it.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know (and I, too, may be wrong) you cannot "jailbreak the iPad" if you're running the most recent version of the operating system. At least not at the present time.

You can jailbreak iPad 1 on any version.

Really? Thanks for the clarification. I must admit that I don't quite understand how that would be possible since I assumed that the OS is identical on both generations of iPads, but I'll take your word for it.

The OS is nearly identical, but a the jailbreak for iPad 1 uses a loophole in the bootrom which is buried in the hardware and apple can't update that with out taking the device apart.

Jailbreakers have yet to find a hole on the iPad 2. So, since there is that hole in iPad 1 there will always be a possibility of a tethered jailbreak.

iPad 2 requires a userland or software jailbreak for now. So there had to be a loophole in the OS.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Support Our Troops!!

On my desktop before doing any major changes I backup my stuff , on my phone and Tab before any major changes I backup, on my ipad before a sync it backs up is what I meant. I didn't know if/how possible for jail break
Sorry.

Support Our Troops!!

There is a way to backup jailbreak apps and tweaks. I use pkgbackup.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OS is nearly identical, but a the jailbreak for iPad 1 uses a loophole in the bootrom which is buried in the hardware and apple can't update that with out taking the device apart.

Jailbreakers have yet to find a hole on the iPad 2. So, since there is that hole in iPad 1 there will always be a possibility of a tethered jailbreak.

iPad 2 requires a userland or software jailbreak for now. So there had to be a loophole in the OS.

Thanks for the explanation. Very informative.

Most reactions

Latest posts