What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi I am new and need some help please

OP
H

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes can get into the App it goes through the motions and as soon as it connects it disconnects I have been trying again today of and on but no avail , i am hesitant to delete and re install as i am scared of losing the chat history i ma trying to retrieve
cheers helen
Any other ideas

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you closing the app completely by way of the multi task bar each time you open it? I would be doing this as it might correct itself.

Can you access your account through Safari?

OP
H

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI gain Yes have been closing app each time still not able to get into MSN
You mentioned before about reset:::: No you don't want to touch reset in settings, you can wipe your iPad depending on which tab you press, better not go there I did press Reset button the pther day while trying to access the app but nothing happened..... If i backdated the Ipad would that do any good I know my husband did this once on our computer to retrieve data >I just so wish i could retrieve the data
Can you advise what to do next.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
helen1104 said:
HI gain Yes have been closing app each time still not able to get into MSN
You mentioned before about reset:::: No you don't want to touch reset in settings, you can wipe your iPad depending on which tab you press, better not go there I did press Reset button the pther day while trying to access the app but nothing happened..... If i backdated the Ipad would that do any good I know my husband did this once on our computer to retrieve data >I just so wish i could retrieve the data
Can you advise what to do next.

When you say cannot get into MSN do you mean the website or the app?

I suspect the app or you would be experiencing larger issues with Safari the iPad default web browser.

When you reference doing a reset it sounds like you went to iPad reset. That is for resetting the device to the factory image, not necessary except in rare situations where the iPad is having a problem at the operating system level.

What you want to do is the following:

Double tap the home button.

A task bar of recently used apps will appear. There could be one, or more likely many icons on this task bar including MSN. These are programs that while exited by you still reside in system RAM in background mode. This is a function of ipad multitasking and allows for quick switching between simultaneously active applications. However when you exit the app iOS places you back on the iPad desktop while placing the program into background mode. Sometimes an iPad app will become unstable, even unusable by simply returning you to the desktop when you try to run it. The most recommended fix is to remove the problem app (and others while you are at it) from system RAM as described here.

So after double tapping the home button long press the MSN icon until it, and all other icons on the background task bar begin to wobble and exhibit a red minus sign in the upper left of the icon. Once they wobble release your finger. Now tap the red minus sign on the MSN app and it will be removed from RAM. While you have the background task bar open tap the red minus sign on each icon until they are all closed. This in essence flushes iPad memory, NOT disk. You are NOT deleting the app itself as it will remain installed and the desktop icon (not the background app icon) will remain on your desktop.

Once you have completed removing all apps from the background tap the home button to return to the desktop.

Now power cycle the iPad by pressing and holding the power button until the power down slider appears at the top of your screen. Once it appears swipe it to power down your iPad. You will now have a black screen with a spinning circular icon in the center of the screen. This is the equivalent of the hourglass in windows. It is a visual indication that shutdown is running. This icon will likely only remain visible for a moment or two. It can remain active longer depending on the amount of system housecleaning taking place during the particular shutdown. In either case the icon will eventually vanish which is your signal that shutdown is complete.

Now you can power the iPad back on by pressing and holding the power button until the apple logo appears on the center of the screen indicating startup is underway. Once powered up try to run MSN. It is very likely your problem is gone. If it isn't then repeat this procedure but as an added task delete the MSN app after removing it from the background apps task list and before power cycling the iPad. Then when the ipad powers back up reinstall MSN and test again. If it still isn't working at this point let us know.

Last edited:
OP
H

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI have done all this previously and no luck do not want to delete app as have some chat history on there i am trying to save,,
It is MSN &Live messenger pro (the APP) free version I ma having probs with
Cheers
Helen

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
helen1104 said:
HI have done all this previously and no luck do not want to delete app as have some chat history on there i am trying to save,,
It is MSN &Live messenger pro (the APP) free version I ma having probs with
Cheers
Helen

If you back up the iPad that content should be saved and restorable after a reinstall of MSN as it is user data.

Moreover it sounds like your only remaining option unless you contact the MSN apple support team from the product page in the app store.

Germick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
i'm also new here and i wonder if somebody already has an idea how to save msn chat on the ipad or maybe transfer it to your pc

minnie231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Germick said:
Hi,
i'm also new here and i wonder if somebody already has an idea how to save msn chat on the ipad or maybe transfer it to your pc

Hey I'm new on this to if you lost the man app on your iPad just go to the app store and search it up and it should come up if that's not what you were asking then sorry!

Germick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I did not lost the main app. My MSN stopped working. I am looking for a way to SAVE my msn chats before I clean the history or reinstall the app

minnie231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Germick said:
No I did not lost the main app. My MSN stopped working. I am looking for a way to SAVE my msn chats before I clean the history or reinstall the app

Oh ok sorry about that well if it stopped working the have you tried going on some thing else and login in or just log out or tern it off and on sorry if I can't help!

minnie231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
minnie231 said:
Oh ok sorry about that well if it stopped working the have you tried going on some thing else and login in or just log out or tern it off and on sorry if I can't help!

Maybe you will have to delete the app I know you don't want to but It may be the only chose and just load the app back again

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Germick said:

Can you give us some more info on what is happening. What do you mean MSN stopped working, has the app frozen or is it crashing back to the home screen? Let us know so that we can help you better.

Most reactions

Latest posts