What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi I am new and need some help please

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have had an IPad for around 12 months now and was using MSN &live messenger pro to chat to friends and the last couple weeks it keeps shutting down and I cannot get into my chat history to retrieve some info I had on
There ,,can anyone please help me and advise what to do,,,,I have also paid the 99 cents to update the app but still no luck. Please anyone would really appreciate any help

Thanks Helen

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

When an app behaves strangely it is best to close it completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, let us know how you go.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
H

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI Thanks for your reply nd will try as u have suggested but if I close it completely will I lose chat history as that is what I am trying to access
Thanks Helen

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
helen1104 said:
HI Thanks for your reply nd will try as u have suggested but if I close it completely will I lose chat history as that is what I am trying to access
Thanks Helen

No just closing an app will not do anything untoward, it just clears it from ram. Apps play up from time to time and this is the first step to rectify it.

OP
H

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant to ask if I have to delete the newer version first as I paid 99 cents for update but that doesnt have my chat history on it

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
helen1104 said:
I meant to ask if I have to delete the newer version first as I paid 99 cents for update but that doesnt have my chat history on it

I'm not sure what happens as far as the new app is concerned and I have never used MSN but you should be able to clear the problem with it so that you can get in and retrieve that info. What iPad do you have?

OP
H

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI I have the first I pad and has been great up until a couple weeks ago,,,,I will try deleting the newer verson of MSN live messenger pro and then trying everything you have mentioned and see how i go
Basically all I want to be able to do is acces my chat history,,,,,, there isnt any other way is there

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
helen1104 said:
HI I have the first I pad and has been great up until a couple weeks ago,,,,I will try deleting the newer verson of MSN live messenger pro and then trying everything you have mentioned and see how i go
Basically all I want to be able to do is acces my chat history,,,,,, there isnt any other way is there

Yes this would be a ram issue on an iPad 1. Your iPad has 256 mb of ram compared with the iPad 2 with 512mb and the new iPad with 1 GB of ram. The best step is to close all your apps regularly, especially Safari. Deleting your history and cookies from Safari will also clear out more ram and limiting any location services will all help to limiting troubles on your iPad. Do all this and you shouldn't have a problem accessing that info, let us know how you go.

Sealtiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi im new, can i use different computers (or iTunes) in transferring photos& music? will the photos&musics&apps stored in my ipad be deleted, if my i pad detected that it is a different computer?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
helen1104 said:
HI Have treid as you have suggested and no luck still cannot connect to APP anymore suggestions
Cheers
Helen

Try a restart and then a reset if need be. A reset in this instance does not change anything on your iPad and is just like rebooting a computer.

Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating, if not a reset is next.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Let us know how you go.

OP
H

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI again
Have tried above to no avail... it goes through the motions as if connecting then as quuick as it connects it disconnects I just need to get on to retrieve my chat history
Cheers Helen

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
helen1104 said:
HI again
Have tried above to no avail... it goes through the motions as if connecting then as quuick as it connects it disconnects I just need to get on to retrieve my chat history
Cheers Helen

These 3 steps would normally clear any problem for an app. Do you know if there have been any recent updates for it? The only thing I can think to do is to delete the app and then reinstall, but I cannot guarantee your chat will still be there. I have done this with game apps before and the data has been preserved. Do you have a backup of your iPad?

And can you access this service through Safari? As this may be a way of retrieving that info.

OP
H

helen1104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI I think something may be happening as previously when i have been trying to access the app there was just a list saying 13 contacts even although some were favourites and some not last night while trying to access just before it logged of there were teh 2 gr0ups favourites and non favourites (does that make sense) NO updates for app that I remember..,,HOw do i get a back up for data and can you access that??
whatr would happen if i reset in settings?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
helen1104 said:
HI I think something may be happening as previously when i have been trying to access the app there was just a list saying 13 contacts even although some were favourites and some not last night while trying to access just before it logged of there were teh 2 gr0ups favourites and non favourites (does that make sense) NO updates for app that I remember..,,HOw do i get a back up for data and can you access that??
whatr would happen if i reset in settings?

No you don't want to touch reset in settings, you can wipe your iPad depending on which tab you press, better not go there.
So you can get into the app? I think it is the app playing up here and the best course is to delete it and reinstall it now. Do you sync your iPad with your computer? As you can do a backup, not totally sure if it backs up things like chat though. If something gets wiped from your iPad and you have been backing up in iTunes, you can put it back through iTunes. But I'm thinking it would be the same as Facebook in that your chats are stored in Facebook for access so deleting the Facebook app and reinstalling doesn't affect the chats and they are preserved. Can you access this site through Safari? Do you know?

Most reactions

Latest posts