What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi i am neew to the forum

Zsara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wondering if IPads new virus protection like my PC?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

The iPad is immune to computer virus, so there's no need for anti-virus software and, indeed, as a result none is available. It's one of the great things about owning an iPad!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Z

Zsara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response! I am glad I have this site to find out more about my IPad ;)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We're glad to welcome you. The Forum is a world-wide community, so there's always someone 'out there' ready to help.

Have fun

Tim
Scotland

OP
Z

Zsara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have another question. When I purchased my iPad I automatically activated a new ATT account per my iPad directions....... I have verizon at home for my computers and phones both cell and land line. My wifi my iPad uses at home is my verizon . What am I paying ATT for? If I think back to Christmas morning when I was figuring out how to activate my new iPad they didn't ask me which service I used. Can I drop ATT and link to my present verizon in using my iPad?
Now several months later and paying the 25 dollar monthly fee it dawned on me Why? And I don't know....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. The Verizon cell service uses a protocol known as CDMA and AT&T use the GSM standard. They are completely incompatible. In the US, Apple sell two different models of iPad with 3G - one is the AT&T model, that you have and the other is the Verizon model. They have different electronics inside them, so it's not possible to swap from one carrier to the other. You would literally have to change your iPad if you wanted to swap to Verizon.

Of course, you could just use your iPad on WiFi and not use the 3G feature - but I guess that's not what you want to do.

Tim

OP
Z

Zsara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Unfortunately not. The Verizon cell service uses a protocol known as CDMA and AT&T use the GSM standard. They are completely incompatible. In the US, Apple sell two different models of iPad with 3G - one is the AT&T model, that you have and the other is the Verizon model. They have different electronics inside them, so it's not possible to swap from one carrier to the other. You would literally have to change your iPad if you wanted to swap to Verizon.

Of course, you could just use your iPad on WiFi and not use the 3G feature - but I guess that's not what you want to do.

Tim

Ok so the 3 g feature is what it uses like my cell phone to get on the Internet? I guess I am not fully informed on what they do. I understood what you said about iPad one I need iPad 2 to have the verizon option. I am not sure what your last question implies? What will I not get if I shut down ATT?

OP
Z

Zsara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to save or not waste money if I don't have too.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad can connect to the Internet using either WiFi or 3G. WiFi could connect to the Internet when you're at home from any wireless networking in your home. But, when you're away from your home unless you are near a location that offers WiFi, you'd need the 3G connection to enable you to access the Internet. So, if you drop the AT&T contract, you wouldn't be able to connect to the Internet unless you have a WiFi network nearby.

If you purchase another iPad be careful. I don't think that Verizon allow a new iPad to be registered on an existing data plan. You'd need to have a new plan to be able to use 3G on a new Verizon iPad.

Of course, you can purchase WiFi only iPads that have no 3G option at all. Then you would be able to access the Internet at home if you have wireless networking there and while you were out, if you were linked to a WiFi hotspot.

To make matters even more complicated, you can buy a portable WiFi hotspot, sometimes referring to as a MiFi (mobile WiFi). They're small units - about the size of a box of kitchen matches - that connect to the Internet using 3G and then broadcast a WiFi signal that a WiFi-only iPad could connect to.

And finally some mobile phones have the option to act as a MiFi too.

Confusing, isn't it?

If you have any follow-up questions, just post. There's always someone here 24/7

Tim

OP
Z

Zsara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a blackberry storm that has a wifi option but that cost 25 dollar. I turned it off because I got it for when I was out in a very rural area where I have my boat slip in a marina. When we go to the boat we actually sleep on the boat and I wanted to have internet there. However we go mostly in the warm months and so I turned it off prior to getting my new iPad. I planned on using it with my laptop on the boat. That being said I never tested it before turning the wifi off by verizon due to non use. Verizon said i could have it turned on whenever i wanted. The only test I did was with my iPad a month ago to see if the iPad would pick up any signals. I got hits on the 3 hour trip to the marina but all required passwords. So I am still unclear the 3 g must only give limited internet? And it seems there is no way to avoid the fees lol am I right?

OP
Z

Zsara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zsara said:
I have a blackberry storm that has a wifi option but that cost 25 dollar. I turned it off because I got it for when I was out in a very rural area where I have my boat slip in a marina. When we go to the boat we actually sleep on the boat and I wanted to have internet there. However we go mostly in the warm months and so I turned it off prior to getting my new iPad. I planned on using it with my laptop on the boat. That being said I never tested it before turning the wifi off by verizon due to non use. Verizon said i could have it turned on whenever i wanted. The only test I did was with my iPad a month ago to see if the iPad would pick up any signals. I got hits on the 3 hour trip to the marina but all required passwords. So I am still unclear the 3 g must only give limited internet? And it seems there is no way to avoid the fees lol am I right?

Just to be clear when I tested my iPad I didn't turn on my wifi via my cell phone.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zsara said:

Just to be clear when I tested my iPad I didn't turn on my wifi via my cell phone.

If the iPad has WiFi turned on then it will try to join any networks that it picks up - but if they're not free ones, you'll be asked for a password and possibly an encryption key. The iPad pops up messages on the screen asking you these questions. The iPad always uses WiFi in preference to 3G if it can but, if WiFi is not available, it will switch to 3G.

If the iPad goes in and out of 3G coverage - on your boat, for instance and the signal is intermittent you will move in and out of Internet access. But when the 3G signal comes back you don't get asked for a password.

So those requests you're getting are coming from WiFi networks and not 3G. The iPad should display the 'name' of the WiFi network it's picking up to help you recognise it.

Tim

OP
Z

Zsara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
If the iPad has WiFi turned on then it will try to join any networks that it picks up - but if they're not free ones, you'll be asked for a password and possibly an encryption key. The iPad pops up messages on the screen asking you these questions. The iPad always uses WiFi in preference to 3G if it can but, if WiFi is not available, it will switch to 3G.

If the iPad goes in and out of 3G coverage - on your boat, for instance and the signal is intermittent you will move in and out of Internet access. But when the 3G signal comes back you don't get asked for a password.

So those requests you're getting are coming from WiFi networks and not 3G. The iPad should display the 'name' of the WiFi network it's picking up to help you recognise it.

Tim

Thanks for your wealth of wisdom. Maybe activating my cell phone wifi feature would be my best solution to staying connected regardless of my location. What do you think? And does this type of wifi connection have limitations as well?

Most reactions

Latest posts