What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from China

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi and welcome here, you can easily buy a pre-paid card China Unicom cut it buy your self enter the correct information in your ipad and voila

Settings> Cellular Data> access point > APN : uninet

enjoy your trip in china

Great. I have an additional question. I assume that the Ipad can access Google maps using the Unicom SIM card over the internet. So if I am in Guangzhou and I look at satellite view in Google maps on the IPad and see different parts of the city.

Does the GPS in the IPad 3G work in China? In the USA, the IPad 3G will tell me my location using GPS (or GPS A using the cell phone towers). When I move in my car or walking the IPad will update my position on Google maps.

Will the IPad 3G also receive GPS location instructions in China, or is this data blocked or restricted??

No worry la , i live in GZ and use my iPad 3G as GPS with google maps you can also visit the city of with a place with the satellite map far as i have see they have update the maps og Guangzhou and Shenzhen

midnightio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy from New Mexico, USA. Welcome Pard.

Howdy! Thanks to IpadOne for the answer to my IPad question. It may sound not so important, but I sometimes wander around China in the city I am visiting, and with my limited Chinese skills, having a GPS (even it it is accurate in 1 or 2 blocks) that works with Google Maps so I can see the satellite view would be great!

I can explore and take trains between towns and have a good idea where I am located... if I should get off at one stop or the next. Until I learn to communicate better this should be a very helpful tool.

And I can also use the 'Google Translate' feature with the internet service... or something similar if Google is blocked.

Cheers!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy from New Mexico, USA. Welcome Pard.

Howdy! Thanks to IpadOne for the answer to my IPad question. It may sound not so important, but I sometimes wander around China in the city I am visiting, and with my limited Chinese skills, having a GPS (even it it is accurate in 1 or 2 blocks) that works with Google Maps so I can see the satellite view would be great!

I can explore and take trains between towns and have a good idea where I am located... if I should get off at one stop or the next. Until I learn to communicate better this should be a very helpful tool.

And I can also use the 'Google Translate' feature with the internet service... or something similar if Google is blocked.

Cheers!

google translate is working , but you have several free app’s work more better and faster for translate … my chinese is near than zero :D even i live here , for the GPS and translator my iPhone is my tool … many time when i want to go in some place i show the taxi driver the place in the map and that work fine for me , this is why i love all my Apple product that make life easiest than before … if you have any question feel free to ask me

Watzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ipadone
I have plan to Guangzhou on September and would like to know where to buy
China unicom 3G sim , how cost? , can I buy it at 7 11 store?
How long time I can use per one sim? Or how gb or mb I can use per one sim?
Thank u very much

Wat. From Thailand

Sorry for my bad English :)

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ipadone
Thank u very much

Wat. From Thailand

I don’t know the cost but it’s cheap, time is really long … and yes you can buy in 7/11

no problem for your thaiglish LoL

Watzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ipadone
Thank u very much

Wat. From Thailand

I don’t know the cost but it’s cheap, time is really long … and yes you can buy in 7/11

no problem for your thaiglish LoL

Thanks a lot , I will use my iPad for Skype too :)

Most reactions