What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi All!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dianella said:
Many thanks rich for that explanation. I will try to download the keynote. Because i want to do special effect which is i already made in my laptop.becAuse im planning to buy the ms power point apps in apple store, i thought it will be more compatible with me with All the special effect.

Sounds good...as long as you understand that there are no "MS Apps" in the App Store. MS has no interest in supporting the iPad or Apple for that matter. If you're stuck using PowerPoint you'll have to deal with apps that do their best to, well, deal with them. The best thing to do, if you can, is to switch to Keynote for your presentations. That way you won't have to worry about what works and what won't plus as mentioned Keynote delivers stunning presentations.

Best of luck however you work things out!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dianella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Sounds good...as long as you understand that there are no "MS Apps" in the App Store. MS has no interest in supporting the iPad or Apple for that matter. If you're stuck using PowerPoint you'll have to deal with apps that do their best to, well, deal with them. The best thing to do, if you can, is to switch to Keynote for your presentations. That way you won't have to worry about what works and what won't plus as mentioned Keynote delivers stunning presentations.

Best of luck however you work things out!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

So key note is the best way with all the best effect it can do?hehehee...btw i already can use the drop box. I use the 2gb free one..then once i drop my files there and move to my ipad, i can delete again right?and it wont lose in my ipad right?

dianella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dianella said:
So key note is the best way with all the best effect it can do?hehehee...btw i already can use the drop box. I use the 2gb free one..then once i drop my files there and move to my ipad, i can delete again right?and it wont lose in my ipad right?

Rich.. Which one better if i want to do special effect? Keynote or the power point 2010 ?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keynote does a very nice job. Not sure what you mean about Dropbox.

Rich.. Which one better if i want to do special effect? Keynote or the power point 2010 ?
I guess it depends on the special effects you want to have and how you will be presenting them...from a computer (Mac or Windows) or your iPad. Keynote will look best using a Mac or iPad. PowerPoint might look best on a Windows computer.

FWIW, one of the basic lessons when creating presentations is to keep in mind that it's the message, not the presentation's "special effects" that is important. Too many people try to "wow" their audience and forget about what they are actually trying to accomplish...delivering information. Too many special effects can easily distract from the message. Transitions, builds, etc. can be appropriate, but too many can easily ruin a presentation.

That said, Keynote has many nice special effects, transitions, etc. I use both PowerPoint and Keynote and find that Keynote is easier and more intuitive to use than PowerPoint and the results are really first-class.

Last edited:

hkwylai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rich

I'm still deciding which apps to buy. My mojarra requirement is to create and edit Words (basic paragraph word document) & Excel (basic spreadsheet with dollar, sum and average calculation) and send out document as PDF file through e-mail. Would QuickOffice be the best choice?

Thanks
Jacky

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jacky - welcome to the forum! :)

If you go to the first page of this thread, Rich has already given some excellent advice comparing various office type apps - your needs seem fairly basic, so a number of these different programs should work for you.

I have Pages, Numbers, & Keynote on my iPad (basically, Word, Excel, & Powerpoint equivalents) - Pages & Numbers will certainly handle your needs as defined above; also documents made in these apps can be e-mailed in a variety of formats, including as PDF files. There are also a number of dedicated threads to this topic, so a little searching might be useful. I'm sure Rich will come along w/ more comments - good luck in your selections - :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rich

I'm still deciding which apps to buy. My mojarra requirement is to create and edit Words (basic paragraph word document) & Excel (basic spreadsheet with dollar, sum and average calculation) and send out document as PDF file through e-mail. Would QuickOffice be the best choice?

Thanks
Jacky
Hi Jacky. Per giradman I would recommend Pages and Numbers for the iPad. Both will do exactly what you want including saving and emailing them as PDF files.

mspacpa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if I want to use my iPad 2 to connect to a projector for presenting at a seminar and most of the slides will have been created by importing Excel spreadsheets, would Keynote be my best choice?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if I want to use my iPad 2 to connect to a projector for presenting at a seminar and most of the slides will have been created by importing Excel spreadsheets, would Keynote be my best choice?
Depending on the content you should be able to import into Keynote. If not you may have to import them into Numbers first. Another method that works well is to save the spreadsheets as PDF files and then embed them in a Keynote presentation.

I've given several successful presentations using my iPad (and the Apple VGA Adapter) with an app called "2Screens":

2Screens - Presentation Expert for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Happy presenting!

vikram04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have just Joined the Forum. At my current organization (Vriti Infocom) Linux, Fedora etc are used while personally I use Windows and so there are many issues while I try to open same file in both the formats. Kindly help!!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have just Joined the Forum. At my current organization (Vriti Infocom) Linux, Fedora etc are used while personally I use Windows and so there are many issues while I try to open same file in both the formats. Kindly help!!
Here's some more information about iPad Apps for Business Use:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-business-education/22431-hi-all.html#post157114

Here’s another post with additional info:

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html#post256794

Hope that helps.

hkwylai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Jacky. Per giradman I would recommend Pages and Numbers for the iPad. Both will do exactly what you want including saving and emailing them as PDF files.

Hi richsadams & giradman

Thank you for you advice. I have purchased Pages & Numbers. It's really good on creating the PDF through e-mail. However, I'm working on the format conversion and templates now. Some format is lost when the file is used between Numbers and Excel. In addition, there is no way to add template to the Numbers.

Thanks
Jacky

Cuberoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I am new member of the forum and have a windows laptop i sync with. I wanted to get my documents etc over to the iPad and have loaded Pages on the iPad as well as iCloud on both. However I can't work out where to drop my word files on my pc so that I can read them on the iPad. Am I being daft..

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I am new member of the forum and have a windows laptop i sync with. I wanted to get my documents etc over to the iPad and have loaded Pages on the iPad as well as iCloud on both. However I can't work out where to drop my word files on my pc so that I can read them on the iPad. Am I being daft..
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum.

With regard to your question, to transfer your files to any file sharing app:

1. Connect your iPad to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes (if it doesn't open automatically).
  3. After your iPad syncs with iTunes, click on the "Apps" tab at the top of the page., click on the "Apps" tab at the top of the page.
  4. Scroll down to the File Sharing/Apps area at the bottom of the page.
  5. Locate and click on the app you want to use (listed in the left-hand column).
  6. The right-hand panel changes to "[name of app] Documents".
  7. Drag and drop your files into that area or click on the "Add" button at the bottom and locate the files you want to use.
  8. Finish by clicking on the "Sync" button at the bottom of the page and the files will be transferred to your iPad.
Subsequently you can move files from your iPad to your computer using the reverse.

This example is for another app, but it's the same for any app that has file sharing abilities:

wluj41.jpg

Hope that helps!

Welcome again and enjoy!

Last edited:

Cuberoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Very helpful and I have got the files into the list. Just can't see the Apply button and no docs on iPad despite syncing.

Most reactions

Latest posts