What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all!) New member looking for help to fix my mini iPad

Surfalia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like this is the place to be! I am a Mac fan and have been for years. Computers, laptops, iPhone, iPods and ipads. I liked my iPad alot and someone decided they liked it too and they unkindly liberated me of it(. I went ahead and replaced it but got a mini and love(d) it!! Though recently it went swimming without its floaties and wetsuit on!:eek: Not good! Poor thing drowned!!:( Tried resuscitating it, local shop opened it and did some sort of 'washes' but no luck D.O.A. :(:(Well I am going to replace it but it was not the low end model and its going to be a hit to the wallet that I would not mind avoiding. I know my abilities enough to feel confident in changing out any or all bad parts. Has anyone ever heard of bringing life back to a swimmer like mine by replacing the motherboard? And if so where did you get your motherboard and is it safe to assume not all Mb's are the same. 16/32/64/128gb/wifi/cel?
Thanks for looking and sharing.:eek:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Surfalia--sorry to hear about your iPad! That is really just a tough thing to deal with. Hopefully others can direct you to how to repair the innards of this device. I wouldn't know and would probably take it to apple have them repair it.

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to:

iPad Help|iPad Hacking | iPad Games | iPad for Business and Education | Special Needs iPad Forum | iPad for Health Forum

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please have a look at our IPF App Tutorial:http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html

Manuals:Apple - Support - Manuals

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

moshe5368

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a confirmed tinkerer ( disassembled mothers clock as a child), I have found the iFixit website to be really good. They tear down and repair almost everything you could imagine, including, I might add, the iPad mini. They do, however, give it a difficult rating for repair and special tools are required for the task. You might take a look at the site and decide if this is a job you wish to tackle. Good luck and sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Sent from my iPad mini using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a confirmed tinkerer ( disassembled mothers clock as a child), I have found the iFixit website to be really good. They tear down and repair almost everything you could imagine, including, I might add, the iPad mini. They do, however, give it a difficult rating for repair and special tools are required for the task. You might take a look at the site and decide if this is a job you wish to tackle. Good luck and sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Thanks, Moshe! :)

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

moshe5368

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problem, skimonkey. I repair various tablets just to stay occupied so I watch iFixit closely. I've been on an HP Touchpad kick lately as they are cheap and really good media devices for the grandchildren. Most tablets are fairly east to disassemble but I will not try iDevices due to the amount of adhesive used in the assembly. While this makes for a really solid device, it makes disassembly very difficult and its easy to damage the display. For those brave souls who wish to attempt it ( or have little to lose) it might be an option.
I have not been an apple convert for much more than a year, having been an android developer, but am now fully invested in an all apple household for the wife and I. Have a great day.
Moshe

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem, skimonkey. I repair various tablets just to stay occupied so I watch iFixit closely. I've been on an HP Touchpad kick lately as they are cheap and really good media devices for the grandchildren. Most tablets are fairly east to disassemble but I will not try iDevices due to the amount of adhesive used in the assembly. While this makes for a really solid device, it makes disassembly very difficult and its easy to damage the display. For those brave souls who wish to attempt it ( or have little to lose) it might be an option.
I have not been an apple convert for much more than a year, having been an android developer, but am now fully invested in an all apple household for the wife and I. Have a great day.
Moshe

Wow--very interesting to hear of the differences in repairing other tablets compared to iPads. Had no idea how the iPad was constructed. If ever my iPad device needs a repair, I'll leave it to the expert! I wouldn't have a clue where to start--plus I'd be a nervous Willie trying to do it!!

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

moshe5368

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For a brief description of the iPad mini internals, I would refer you to the iFixit.com website. They do a complete tear down of the mini with photos and a list of the tools required as well as a description of each component. On a 1-10 scale, they give the mini ( as well as all iPads) a 9 rating with 10 being the most difficult to repair. There are sources of replacement parts to be found online and if one has the tools and a steady enough hand, repairs are possible. Like you, I will leave these device repairs to the experts at apple. The tear down shown on iFixit leaves me with a fresh perspective of just how well built these devices are.
Moshe

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like this is the place to be! I am a Mac fan and have been for years. Computers, laptops, iPhone, iPods and ipads. I liked my iPad alot and someone decided they liked it too and they unkindly liberated me of it(. I went ahead and replaced it but got a mini and love(d) it!! Though recently it went swimming without its floaties and wetsuit on!:eek: Not good! Poor thing drowned!!:( Tried resuscitating it, local shop opened it and did some sort of 'washes' but no luck D.O.A. :(:(Well I am going to replace it but it was not the low end model and its going to be a hit to the wallet that I would not mind avoiding. I know my abilities enough to feel confident in changing out any or all bad parts. Has anyone ever heard of bringing life back to a swimmer like mine by replacing the motherboard? And if so where did you get your motherboard and is it safe to assume not all Mb's are the same. 16/32/64/128gb/wifi/cel?
Thanks for looking and sharing.:eek:

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

My, you sure have had some misfortunes.

I just wanted to say in case you cant resuscitate that mini of yours, that as it would still be under warranty, if you did go to Apple they would most likely offer to swap out your mini for a new one but with a cost, which is usually half the price that you paid for it.

So don't just go out and buy a new one (if the other one is really DOA), go to Apple and see what they will do for you! They have done this many times for our members, my daughter also received the same offer! Hope this helps and good luck!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thank you very much for this info. It's always good to know of these valuable sites and I have already referred another member who has a broken iPad to your posts!

Thanks again!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear on the iPad and hopefully you get it back & going or replaced :)...

Most reactions