What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Siri...

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This has no doubt been posted before, but it took me by surprise, so I thought that I would post it.

A few days ago my iPad was on charge, with the smart cover closed and hence in sleep mode, and we had the tv on. Suddenly, after about an hour watching something or other, I forget what, Siri suddenly announced to the effect of 'what can I do for you?' somewhat loudly.

Puzzled, it took me a while to realise that something spoken on the tv sounded near enough to 'hey Siri' (-Syria, perhaps), which I had enabled when we first bought the iPad. (Actually since then I have hardly used Siri.)

Interestingly, later on I put the iPad on charge again and tried 'hey Siri': it seems not to respond to a UK accent!

Hey Siri has now been disabled!.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This has no doubt been posted before, but it took me by surprise, so I thought that I would post it.

A few days ago my iPad was on charge, with the smart cover closed and hence in sleep mode, and we had the tv on. Suddenly, after about an hour watching something or other, I forget what, Siri suddenly announced to the effect of 'what can I do for you?' somewhat loudly.

Puzzled, it took me a while to realise that something spoken on the tv sounded near enough to 'hey Siri' (-Syria, perhaps), which I had enabled when we first bought the iPad. (Actually since then I have hardly used Siri.)

Interestingly, later on I put the iPad on charge again and tried 'hey Siri': it seems not to respond to a UK accent!

Hey Siri has now been disabled!.
It's happened to me a few times. I had fallen asleep listening to an audiobook and was awakened by Siri asking what it could do.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've only got Hey Siri enabled on my iPhone, which is almost never plugged except beside my bed at night.

Most common use: Find out what time it is without having to roll over and push a button. I don't like always on glow in the dark clocks.

Occasionally I'll ask for the weather, time till sunrise, or some oddball question that occurs to me when I'm unsleeping; sometimes I even get the answer.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apparently with the latest iPhones you will be able to have 'Hey Siri' enabled without having to have it powered. That's likely, in my mind, to be more problematical than useful if you forget that it's on.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently with the latest iPhones you will be able to have 'Hey Siri' enabled without having to have it powered. That's likely, in my mind, to be more problematical than useful if you forget that it's on.
This new version of Siri can be trained to recognize your own voice so it would be less likely to be activated by mistake.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. My understanding is that the voice training is so that Siri is better able to understand you, not so that it will be less likely to be triggered by someone else. It should help with regional dialects and other pronunciation variation more quickly than in the past, where Siri got to know you over some stretch of time.

But I could be wrong. I haven't heard any real details about the new training, or what it is supposed to accomplish.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The descriptions of this Siri voice training are sufficiently ambiguous that either explanation could be deduced. We'll have to wait until the new iPhones are shipped and owners get some hands on experience to see if a trained Siri would reject someone else saying Hey Siri or something that could be mistaken for it.

Most reactions

Latest posts