What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He's going to Iraq...

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will keep his and his mates' well-being in my prayers.
And give him my family's thanks.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only just seen this - just remember its something I assume he's always wanted to do. This probably sounds facisious to those not of a military background, but it's an adventure ;). I got some strange looks off my family a few weeks ago when I said I'll be sort of disappointed when Afghanistan finishes.. I see it like this - Surgeons don't wish people to be ill, but they love the challenge of sticking a knife into someone.

He'll have some tough times and he'll have some great times - especially when deployed on Ops - I think the emotionally lowest and highest points of my life have been in Afghanistan, and I wouldn't change that for anything. I hope he feels the same way about it afterwards for both his, and all of your sakes. :)

Just don't be surprised when he asks for some seemingly stupid stuff to be sent out to him - it's odd some of the things that put a smile on your face! (I get my favourite Twinings teabags sent to me!)

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only just seen this - just remember its something I assume he's always wanted to do. This probably sounds facisious to those not of a military background, but it's an adventure ;). I got some strange looks off my family a few weeks ago when I said I'll be sort of disappointed when Afghanistan finishes.. I see it like this - Surgeons don't wish people to be ill, but they love the challenge of sticking a knife into someone.

He'll have some tough times and he'll have some great times - especially when deployed on Ops - I think the emotionally lowest and highest points of my life have been in Afghanistan, and I wouldn't change that for anything. I hope he feels the same way about it afterwards for both his, and all of your sakes. :)

Just don't be surprised when he asks for some seemingly stupid stuff to be sent out to him - it's odd some of the things that put a smile on your face! (I get my favourite Twinings teabags sent to me!)

What a lovely, post and I thank you! How old were you when you were there?

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So So true for you are liveig life on the razor blade edge and loveing every minute of it and it the heart pumping scared out of the wit's moment's to the setting there in the dark looking up at the night sky and going this is so beauitful or sitting there with canteen cup of your favorite drink and going life is not bad when no one is shooting at you or when someone is shooting at you get to witness some of the funny thing's in one life or some of the saddest thing's in one life and it a stange mixture and try to tell someone about it ..

It is one of the hardest thing for people who never been in somewhere in there life ..For the blood pumping roar of the body heatbeat in your ear's to the pusle pounding of the machine gun's and explopsion's going off and then it over and your alive with one of the greatest high's that a person can have and some of the lowest feeling's at the same time ..

you miss the razor edge at time's for the smell of the world is not the same without the razor edge for you to fall off back when you back home along family and friend's for they can not understand the whole mind set of beening here or there and sometime's wishing you where there instead of here ..

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I laughed reading the bit about the night sky Henry - I remember doing pretty much that in some random bit of Iraqi desert. Just looked up, seeing more shooting stars than I have ever see, seeing the band of the milky way and just going.. "wow". I think in more remote areas of the US you can see that, but being from the giant floodlight which is the UK, that was a pretty unique moment.

I didn't do my first tour of Iraq until I was 26, I'd done 2 years in N Ireland by then though. Since 2004 I've done two tours of Iraq and three tours of Afghanistan (Brit tours being 6 to 7(ish) months long) - my current job means I spend 4 months a year out there for the foreseeable future. But it's what i'm paid for and I enjoy it, so no complaints here - I'd go away more.

I will offer the advice to not try to get him to talk about things though- he'll decide when, if and to whom he'll talk about things with. From experience, people thinking you need to "talk" actually just makes you NEED to punch them in the face ;)

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will offer the advice to not try to get him to talk about things though- he'll decide when, if and to whom he'll talk about things with. From experience, people thinking you need to "talk" actually just makes you NEED to punch them in the face ;)

Interesting view! I will remember this and pass it on to my daughter!

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I laughed reading the bit about the night sky Henry - I remember doing pretty much that in some random bit of Iraqi desert. Just looked up, seeing more shooting stars than I have ever see, seeing the band of the milky way and just going.. "wow". I think in more remote areas of the US you can see that, but being from the giant floodlight which is the UK, that was a pretty unique moment.

I didn't do my first tour of Iraq until I was 26, I'd done 2 years in N Ireland by then though. Since 2004 I've done two tours of Iraq and three tours of Afghanistan (Brit tours being 6 to 7(ish) months long) - my current job means I spend 4 months a year out there for the foreseeable future. But it's what i'm paid for and I enjoy it, so no complaints here - I'd go away more.

You will understand this more than anyone else..The world was stange at time's and you only really live is when on the razor edge

Most reactions