What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's Y ipad need wired ethernet.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not that ios is doing anything wrong here. I think ipads are fantastic.
My concern is with how wifi works.
Basically the wifi device searches out for the strongest list of signals.
You can then decide which ssid to go on in settings.
But what happens lets say when the wifi signal fades for some reason.
What does the wifi device do then?
I think the wifi device rescans and automatically rejoins an ssid that it is familiar with.
As far as the user is concerned the user would not know if wifi frequency changed or what not.
This concerns me because, what if someone clones my ssid and jams the wifi and uses different frequency while jamming my router's ssid frequency.

I'm just saying we can avoid this if we had the option to use wired connection when extra security is desired, that's all.

Please let me know if there is any missinformation.

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This concerns me because, what if someone clones my ssid and jams the wifi and uses different frequency while jamming my router's ssid frequency..

This would be a concern if you had a laptop, just the same. The alternative is to learn how to secure your router, not leash a mobile device.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a reason for proper security on Wi Fi. Anyway, if someone goes to the trouble of jamming signals to take over SSID'S, they they could do a lot of other nasties as well.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With millions of these devices in use all over the world, don't you think someone would have done such a thing? That the tech world would have heard about it? That sometime hasn't already been done about whatever it is?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's called a man in the middle attack. It's extremely hard to do on a proper secured wi-fi router. Similar attacks can be created for wired connections to the internet. Again, hard to do with proper security in place.

Making sure that you have a secure connection to sensitive sites is also important. Your browser should show that it is using https: (vs http: ), and somewhere you should be able to see that the security certificate is valid. This is usually shown by a lock icon near the URL field. Even if you are hit with a man in the middle attack, it is unlikely they can get any useful information out of properly implemented site security.

There are exceptions, of course. One of the hazards of being on the internet, like choosing to drive, means you open yourself to some level of risk. Like driving, the amount of risk depends on your own good/bad habits and where you choose to go.

(sorry for the car analogy)

dln53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a situation where, for security reasons, wifi cannot be used. The only way I could access the internet with my iPad would need to be wired. Sooooo, you're saying there just ain't no such animal??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a situation where, for security reasons, wifi cannot be used. The only way I could access the internet with my iPad would need to be wired. Sooooo, you're saying there just ain't no such animal??

Exactly. The only way the iPad connects to the Internet is by wireless.

Marilyn

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not that ios is doing anything wrong here. I think ipads are fantastic.
My concern is with how wifi works.
Basically the wifi device searches out for the strongest list of signals.
You can then decide which ssid to go on in settings.
But what happens lets say when the wifi signal fades for some reason.
What does the wifi device do then?
I think the wifi device rescans and automatically rejoins an ssid that it is familiar with.
As far as the user is concerned the user would not know if wifi frequency changed or what not.
This concerns me because, what if someone clones my ssid and jams the wifi and uses different frequency while jamming my router's ssid frequency.

I'm just saying we can avoid this if we had the option to use wired connection when extra security is desired, that's all.

Please let me know if there is any missinformation.

Actually yeah. You're mistaken.
Wifi devices connect to APs (access points) with the least trouble and existing history

When your ipad connects to wifi it finds the ones it has attached to, compares it against the last known password if available and connects.

If you want to see what AP your connected to, you look at the wifi signal and it tells ya.
If you want to make sure your network is secure and you surf the web from your ipad with impunity,
YOU
lock down access to your router
Allow specific Mac addresses
Assign static ips's
Don't broadcast your SSID
Monitor your router event logs

Tethering your ipad ties you restricts you to specific location limits your reach
HTH
Mike

Most reactions