What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here’s another one! Junk.

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,
Sometimes, for no apparent reason, rhyme or rationality I have e-mails that go into the junk folder. People that I communicate with regularly! I’ll wonder where the response is and it in the junk folder!
No attachments involved.
Any thoughts on that action appreciated.
Thanks, Ken

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try putting their details in Contacts, if they are not already there. If you are using Apple Mail, it should then direct the emails to your Inbox.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks,
Don’t know what Apple mail is?
Just add my own e-mail addresses. Mostly .msn’s.
This particular person’s is [email protected] which is in the contacts. Doesn’t make any difference, that one and others, for no reason whatsoever go into the junk folder on random occasion. No attachments involved.......Just bizarre!
Ken

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By Apple Mail, I meant the native Apple Mail App that comes with the device. If you redirect these misplaced emails, hopefully the system will learn to direct them to your Inbox.

Thanks again but beats me? I’m using the envelope icon at the bottom of this gen 5 IPAD. Latest update.
No idea what re-direct means or native apple mail. I send out an e mail and expect the reply to come back to the same e mail address I use.
I even went into the windows computer and added it to the safe list. No good. Still the same. All this at random with various e mails from people.
Guess I’ll keep looking at the junk mail till I get rid of this goofy thing!! Ken

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks,
Don’t know what Apple mail is?
Just add my own e-mail addresses. Mostly .msn’s.
This particular person’s is [email protected] which is in the contacts. Doesn’t make any difference, that one and others, for no reason whatsoever go into the junk folder on random occasion. No attachments involved.......Just bizarre!
Ken

Hi again Ken - concerning not knowing what 'Apple mail is?' above - several of us in your other thread discovered that you indeed were using Apple's native mail app (check my post #9 HERE); thus, you are having emails mis-directed in the 'Junk' folder of that app - correct?

Well, my wife (and her friends) and I are having the same issues (mainly on our Mac computers), i.e. our own emails to each other and emails from people in our 'Contacts' are placed in the 'Junk' folder necessitating that we always have to check that folder rather than deleting indiscriminately. This apparently is a common complaint - just check this one discussion thread in the Apple Communities (there are plenty of other Google hits including multiple Apple Support articles addressing the issues); personally, I feel Apple's mail software and junk algorithms are 'buggy', so may have to wait for OS updates?

In the meantime, you can try the suggestions in the link above, i.e. make sure the email addresses being misdirected are in your contacts (has not help us much to date) and on iPadOS, a junk email can be marked as non-junk (see pic below from my iPad); also, if a problem on a Mac computer, then junk mail rules can be added (again has not helped us much) - finally, the junk mail 'learning' of your device can be reset to start over. Dave

IMG_9990.PNG

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your extensive explanation and links Dave and to the others who offered input.......what a great group!!
I’ll take my time and go thru all your information. My wife has the same IPAD 5th gen and I’ll have to get her to check the junk folder too!
Yes......maybe the next update will have an effect on this peculiar problem.
Ken

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again Ken - concerning not knowing what 'Apple mail is?' above - several of us in your other thread discovered that you indeed were using Apple's native mail app (check my post #9 HERE); thus, you are having emails mis-directed in the 'Junk' folder of that app - correct?

Well, my wife (and her friends) and I are having the same issues (mainly on our Mac computers), i.e. our own emails to each other and emails from people in our 'Contacts' are placed in the 'Junk' folder necessitating that we always have to check that folder rather than deleting indiscriminately. This apparently is a common complaint - just check this one discussion thread in the Apple Communities (there are plenty of other Google hits including multiple Apple Support articles addressing the issues); personally, I feel Apple's mail software and junk algorithms are 'buggy', so may have to wait for OS updates?

In the meantime, you can try the suggestions in the link above, i.e. make sure the email addresses being misdirected are in your contacts (has not help us much to date) and on iPadOS, a junk email can be marked as non-junk (see pic below from my iPad); also, if a problem on a Mac computer, then junk mail rules can be added (again has not helped us much) - finally, the junk mail 'learning' of your device can be reset to start over. Dave

View attachment 88677
Dave,
Yes, from the mail app......Mis directed...
I just did as you showed....left swipe on a junk mail, tap the gray bar and......

Flag
Mark as unread
Move message
Archive message
Move to junk.....It’s already in junk!! Doesn’t make sense.
Notify me.

That’s is.....no “Mark as not Junk”. My wife’s doesn’t show it either? Been looking for “not junk” forever it seems.
You can tell I don’t know how to do a screen shot!
Ken

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave,
Yes, from the mail app......Mis directed...
I just did as you showed....left swipe on a junk mail, tap the gray bar and......
Move to junk.....It’s already in junk!! Doesn’t make sense.
Notify me.

That’s is.....no “Mark as not Junk”. My wife’s doesn’t show it either? Been looking for “not junk” forever it seems.
You can tell I don’t know how to do a screen shot!
Ken

Hi again Ken - first looking back on your other thread, you have a 5th G iPad and are running iPadOS 13.3, so if you are indeed in the 'Junk' folder, the 'More' button should give you 'Mark as Not Junk' as in my previous screen shot; just went back into my iPad Mail app and looked in 'Trash' - when the 'More' option is used, then I see 'Move to Junk' as shown below - are you in the right folder?

As to a screenshot, varies w/ iPad model but usually involves pressing two buttons simultaneously - for my iPad Pro, I use the Top & Volume buttons (have no HOME button on that model); for your iPad, the top and home buttons need to be used - directions HERE, if needed; there is also a method described in the link using 'Assistive Touch' which I've never tried. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave

IMG_9991.PNG

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again Ken - first looking back on your other thread, you have a 5th G iPad and are running iPadOS 13.3, so if you are indeed in the 'Junk' folder, the 'More' button should give you 'Mark as Not Junk' as in my previous screen shot; just went back into my iPad Mail app and looked in 'Trash' - when the 'More' option is used, then I see 'Move to Junk' as shown below - are you in the right folder?

As to a screenshot, varies w/ iPad model but usually involves pressing two buttons simultaneously - for my iPad Pro, I use the Top & Volume buttons (have no HOME button on that model); for your iPad, the top and home buttons need to be used - directions HERE, if needed; there is also a method described in the link using 'Assistive Touch' which I've never tried. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave

View attachment 88678

Thats what I have Dave with the addition of “Mute” and “Notify me”.
Same as I wrote out above.
I go into the gray e-mail addresses below, click on the one with the most junk mail, left swipe on an e mail, tap the gray box and the drop down is what I wrote out earlier.....No “Not Junk” and no “More”.
Ken

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thats what I have Dave with the addition of “Mute” and “Notify me”.
Same as I wrote out above.
I go into the gray e-mail addresses below, click on the one with the most junk mail, left swipe on an e mail, tap the gray box and the drop down is what I wrote out earlier.....No “Not Junk” and no “More”.
Ken

Dave.....Here's a screen shot......per your instructions! Ken

Attachments

• 08204848-73DB-4922-8ECF-5440F9DF7C9E.png
    08204848-73DB-4922-8ECF-5440F9DF7C9E.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 214

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave.....Here's a screen shot......per your instructions! Ken

Congrats on the screen shot! :)

Indeed, the title of that mailbox shown is 'Junk' but the 'More...' menu is identical to what I see when in my Yahoo account (see first pic - have 2 accounts - the Yahoo one has a junk & trash folder, boxed in blue); when I go into the 'Trash' mailbox, I get the same menu (see 2nd pic) as you do in your folder labeled as 'Junk' - might want to show us a screen capture of your mailboxes which will show all of your accounts, mailboxes, etc. - Dave

P.S. make sure there is no sensitive information present, e.g. last names, email addresses, etc. - you would need to do some editing of the images (which I do w/ Preview on my Mac laptop).

Mail1.PNG
Mail2.PNG

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well Dave. Think I’m going to have to wait for Apple to fix it. I looked at that blog on the link you sent me and all sorts of people are having trouble with this issue.
I’ve looked and tapped on everything you and I have and no
“Mark as not Junk” is visible anywhere. Just weird.
Are you anywhere near Deptford, NJ?? Probably not!
Thanks just the same.....Ken

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mark as Not Junk is not available until you mark it as Junk. For some reason email in the Junk folder seems to be Junk only after you mark it so. Perhaps it is in some kind of junk limbo. If you mark an email as Not Junk, then check it again you can mark it as Not Junk. When you do so it disappears from the Junk folder. I’m not sure if this is a bug, or if there is some obscure reasoning behind it.

On the other hand, if you Choose Edit at the top of the email list (when the Junk folder is selected), then Select All, then Mark (at the bottom) then you can change everything in the folder to Not Junk.

This with the current version of iPadiOS.

An easier way to make sure certain email addresses don’t end up in the Junk folder is to add them to the Contacts app. I have an entire group of email address called Not Junk for just this purpose.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mark as Not Junk is not available until you mark it as Junk. For some reason email in the Junk folder seems to be Junk only after you mark it so. Perhaps it is in some kind of junk limbo. If you mark an email as Not Junk, then check it again you can mark it as Not Junk. When you do so it disappears from the Junk folder. I’m not sure if this is a bug, or if there is some obscure reasoning behind it.

On the other hand, if you Choose Edit at the top of the email list (when the Junk folder is selected), then Select All, then Mark (at the bottom) then you can change everything in the folder to Not Junk.

This with the current version of iPadiOS.

An easier way to make sure certain email addresses don’t end up in the Junk folder is to add them to the Contacts app. I have an entire group of email address called Not Junk for just this purpose.
Hi twerppoet (now theirs a name!).
Anyway.....>now< I see the “Mark” and “Not Junk“ options. I keep having a few normal e-mails go into the junk file for no logical, apparent, sane reason sometimes and have been trying to stop it.
Reading the blogs, seems lots of people are having this problem.
Thanks....I give it a try the next time a normal e-mail goes into the trash....Ken

Most reactions

Latest posts