What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here is how to transfer your Unlimited ATT data plan to your new 4G iPad

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read a article someone sued AT&T and won over AT&T throttling him. I also read they weren't throttling LTE users.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
johnml said:
I read a article someone sued AT&T and won over AT&T throttling him. I also read they weren't throttling LTE users.

Yes, I saw this guy the other day talking about this on a video podcast.

dp118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tranferred my AT&T Unlimited Data Plan from my iPad 1 to my New iPad (3rd Gen). I went through the 1-800-331-0500 number and asked for the section which manages iPad Unlimited Data Plan transfers from old to new iPads. I was transferred (no waiting) and talked to a knowledgeable rep who walked me through the process.

Process with AT&T Rep is as follows:

1. Rep verified my old iPad information using my old iPad Cellular Number, email address, and name.
2. Directed I power down (turn completely off) my old iPad.
3. Turn on new iPad and turn off WiFi.
4. On new iPad goto Settings - Cellular Data - View Account and Log-in.
5. After log-in is a new screen with Data Plans -- ensure "Unlimited Plan" for $29.95 is checked (it should be already) -- Then press "Next" on that screen.
6. Terms and Conditions Screen -- "Agree".
7. Screen comes up indicating AT&T is updating plan.
8. Wait till that screen goes away.
9. Power Down (turn off) New iPad completely -- wait ten seconds -- restart to Apple icon on screen and let iPad reboot.
10. Upper Left screen indicates AT&T Network acquired (signal bars present) -- 4G or LTE if within range of 4G.
11. Check that you can connect with websites through Safari Browser -- Yes.
12. Back to Settings -- General -- About Screen.
13. Confirm with rep that IMEI and ICCID on iPad matches what just updated in their system.

That's it! Five Minutes and transfer complete. According to other posters this process can all be done without a customer rep. However, the rep can see what's happening in their system and confirm everything transferred correctly and that service continuity is maintained. In the unlikely event a problem occurs they can help sort it out immediately.

Well, after I did all of the above, I ended up having to return my iPad 3 and revert my unlimited plan back to my iPad 1. The process was much easier this time. I simply logged on to my AT&T account on my iPad 1 and it gave me the option to put on unlimited plan on that iPad. The changeover took about three minutes and required no calls to AT&T. Thank you AT&T for making it so easy.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I transferred mine all I had to do was click existing customer and enter my email address and password. It then gives you a choice to keep your existing grandfathered unlimited plan or switch. That's it - couldn't be easier.

Ken Randall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great news - though I now still carry my iPad2 w/ unlimited and new iPAd3 with new 4G 3G plan ... nice to know I can switch over at some point! In the mean time, my 7 year old loves being able to watch Netflix in the car on long trips while I use the iPad3 for navigation and streaming radio!

Elsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New question. As a Canadian travelling in the US, I was told I could get a 4G US carrier sim card for my ipad 3G and use the ipad as a router to be able to make phone calls where wi fi was not available... using only the data charges on the lower cost US network via the sim card... is this correct and how?

crashnburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great thread for Unlimited Data from AT&T. Good to see and know all the ways this can be accomplished.

I posted a video on my YouTube channel on how to do it, if anyone wants a visual.

AFAIK that's true with AT&T. Maybe your friends were throttled because they were tethering off their phone data plans. But it still doesn't make sense why they would've been throttled at 5GBs as you described, because the phone throttling cutoff has been officially announced at 3GBs, and even before the official announcement (when AT&T refused to specify), signs pointed to them toggling at 3GBs or less, depending on monthly average use for each market.

And tethering doesn't allow unlimited anyway, so throttling shouldn't have come up for your friends even if they tethered, unless they're jailbroken and tethering, then were throttled.

Well, after I did all of the above, I ended up having to return my iPad 3 and revert my unlimited plan back to my iPad 1. The process was much easier this time. I simply logged on to my AT&T account on my iPad 1 and it gave me the option to put on unlimited plan on that iPad. The changeover took about three minutes and required no calls to AT&T. Thank you AT&T for making it so easy.

When I transferred mine all I had to do was click existing customer and enter my email address and password. It then gives you a choice to keep your existing grandfathered unlimited plan or switch. That's it - couldn't be easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So this thread has resurfaced, lol.

My recent experience with AT&T unlimited on iPad 3G is that they're still not throttling. I went over 4GBs during my last billing cycle, and heard not at peep about throttling. I was mostly streaming Netflix on 3G while traveling, because I don't trust public wifi. I experienced no slowdowns in speed.

This week, I've had out-of-town visitors and loaned them my unlimited SIM card, so I did without 3G on iPad. They returned the card to me last night, and I'm back on. They're using an iPad 1 3G that I gave them ages ago.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm puzzled. Throttling of iPad plans is definitely happening, KayKay. I guess you're just never hitting the cap. It's easy enough to check in your General Settings-> About window and look at your usage. Do you reset that monthly to track your usage?HD movies on iPad 3 is supposed to be breathtaking. People will indeed lean on that with the 3's in LTE areas. I'm just sayin' watch your usage. Being throttled is no fun!
Update:
Throttling still not happening.
Transferred my $30/mo. grandfathered unlimited plan to my iPad 4 4g LTE back in November 2012.
It's June 21, 2014 and still not throttled and averaging 5-20gig/month. Today my speed test says 32.50Mbps/up and 15.87Mbps/down with 12gig of data used so far this month. I stopped watching my data usage over a year ago.
I will probably update my grandpa unlimited to the iPad 6 or 7 later.
This is the best deal ever.

My grandfathered iPhone 5 4g LTE is throttled but can't tell. Still streams Netflix,Hulu,Slingplayer,etc. fine with no issues.

Most reactions

Latest posts