What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here comes the competition

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back on topic..

Link reposted form page 6.

The Untold Story: How the iPhone Blew Up the Wireless Industry

It's interesting that apple partnered with motorola.. Couldn't get much of what what Apple had in mind, and the result in '06 was the ROKR. We all know how well that did.

A year later, Apple comes out with the phone that could have been Motorola's collaborative effort. The iPhone rewrites the entire phone and mobile OS industry.

2.5 years later, Motorola strikes back with Droid, powered by android OS. Another year goes by, and it's response to Apple's iPad.

Microsoft must not be pleased at all, that so many of it's long time partners are choosing android over WinMo, but could you blame them? (that's another thread altogether)

So far, the competition is primarily OS vs OS, followed up by equally important hardware.

The best contenders I see so far, have yet released important details, namely battery life, price. And then you've got to consider that the second generation iPad will be right around the corner, but let's say that these are on par with the iPad.. Which ones stand out as good competition?

So far, the Motorola xoom seems to be an android crowd favorite.
Next we have RIM's only entrant, the playbook.
And, .. do we even mention anything running Windows.. .. yeah, I didn't think so. Maybe after they start using ARM processors and a new OS..

Any other contenders guys and gals, or are these pretty much the only gladiators worth mentioning going into the ring for round 1, 2011?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your paradigm is based on your needs and uses, and each person will have their own uses and perspectives.

Hardly by my definition. Being more capable doesn't make it more useful. If anything, it's less useful, despite all of the things it can do that my iPad can't. That makes my iPad the "better" computer.

Actually, the bolded part is the issue - you're using your own subjective criteria to define things, and claiming that's being objective. Better is objective and measurable, more useful is subjective. A full PC is a better computer than an iPad, period - there's no function we can measure where the iPad will out-perform one. That the iPad is more useful for many (myself included) because of various, subjective reasons.

That these aren't good computers doesn't detract from their usefulness. In fact, the eye-opener of the iPad's success is that it shows just how little everyone needs a full-on PC.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts