What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

here comes the competition...part 2

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Samsung announced today the Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 inch models. Both are the thinnest tablets in the world and operate on the android 3.0 OS styled with samsungs own TouchWiz UX interface.

there are 3 models, 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB. Prices start at $499.

Sprint also announced the HTC EVO VIEW. A touch screen tablet to add to their list of EVO devices. Specs are coming soon.

And finally, the blackberry playbook is available for pre order. Priced at $599, the 7 inch touch screen tablet running RIMS tablet OS will be available in april.

Its going to be an interesting summer....

OP
freebirdforever

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
qnet said:
I wouldn't care for Samsung's touchwiz UI. I wish the manufactures would quit putting their own UI on top of the OS.

Agreed here. Touch wiz on phones sucks. So unless they've dramatically Improved it in this tablet version......

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like apple has another wanna-be competitor! 10 inches? $499? 16, 32, 64gb? POSERS!!!!

True, but this may give apple more of a run because they can come in at the same entry price. It is silly, IMO, to offer two sizes that are basically the same. 8.9 in. And 10.1 inch...WOW! Big difference. They coulda saved a lot more money and put it into a single device than trying to come out with 2 different levels of it. I bet the $499 entry level one is probaly the 8.9 inch, in which apple still wins.
This will be an interesting summer though seeing all these companies Gun 4 Apple. Are those tablets really even thinner thn ipad2? I honestly wouldn't want them to be so thin and skinny it feels flimsy..lmao

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Are those tablets really even thinner thn ipad2? I honestly wouldn't want them to be so thin and skinny it feels flimsy..lmao

Exactly, I don't want to carry a piece of paper around.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm impressed by the hardware and when their Tablet apps catch up it will be an interesting race.

We should all be wishing them the best. The more competition Apple has the more likely we will get faster hardware and software updates.

I am jealous of Gingerbreads homepage with working widgets. I hope Android tablets make a big enough impact on the market that I at least get those features on my iPad.

OP
freebirdforever

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Pingles said:
I'm impressed by the hardware and when their Tablet apps catch up it will be an interesting race.

We should all be wishing them the best. The more competition Apple has the more likely we will get faster hardware and software updates.

I am jealous of Gingerbreads homepage with working widgets. I hope Android tablets make a big enough impact on the market that I at least get those features on my iPad.

Jailbreak and you can get widget apps :)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, but this may give apple more of a run because they can come in at the same entry price. It is silly, IMO, to offer two sizes that are basically the same. 8.9 in. And 10.1 inch...WOW! Big difference. They coulda saved a lot more money and put it into a single device than trying to come out with 2 different levels of it. I bet the $499 entry level one is probaly the 8.9 inch, in which apple still wins.
This will be an interesting summer though seeing all these companies Gun 4 Apple. Are those tablets really even thinner thn ipad2? I honestly wouldn't want them to be so thin and skinny it feels flimsy..lmao

The $499 entry level device is the 16GB 10.1 inch device. Pricing on the smaller 8.9 inch tablet has yet to be announced from what I have seen. I'm sure they are nice devices, but it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another device with the name Samsung on it.

The Blackberry device has also been priced at $499 for the 16GB device. It seems Apple has at least set the price when it comes to entry level devices.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to Engadget, the 8.9 inch models will come in 16GB and 32 GB capacities (don't see 64 GB for either the 8.9 or 10.1 inch models) at prices that are 30 dollars less than the equivalent 10.1 inch model ($469 and $569).

Samsung's new Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 get some competitive price tags, starts at $469 -- Engadget

People might as well pay the extra $30 n get the larger screen, I would. The smaller screen is not that much smaller to make it more portable. It's still a big screen. It seems like a waste of $$ IMO to get smallermscreen size version. It wouldnbe different if it were like $100 cheaper, then ok, u saving some serious $$$.

Most reactions

Latest posts