What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with playing videos

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought my iPad and would be very pleased with it except that it won't play videos. By this I mean, any on You Tube or BBC I player, or if I want to preview films on iTunes. I've tried everything but it just won't work. Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything I can do as it is really annoying and I am regretting buying it now.

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope this helps

YouTube videos should not be a problem, you must have a connection to the Internet by wi-fi or 3G (youtube on 3G can get expensive), tap on the YouTube icon on the iPad.

To preview films on iTunes you must have internet connection and an account with iTunes ( they will want your credit card number).

You can also load videos from the computer that you use to sync with iPad. The videos must be MP4 or converted to MP4 format. In detail: to load the video into iPad ( I use windows 7); connect the sync cable, ITunes should start on your computer and sync to iPad,after sync is finished under Devices click on your iPad icon, on the top bar click on movies, make sure Sync Movies and automatically include are check on. On left side under "LIBRARY" click on movies, reduce the window for iTunes. open the folders where your MP4 video file is and right click and drag it into the iTunes movie window, select copy, then click on "Sync" icon bottom left. after sync is finished the video is in your iPad movie icon and should play.

Best of luck
Bruce

I do not know what BBC I player is and can't help you for it.

Last edited:

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An added note

I have been using Netflix on my tv and found out there is no extra charge to try it on iPad. Tonight I got the free Netflix app and tried it out. It works very well other than the odd time it get a little fuzzy.

OP
Ruthie

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I have wifi and not 3G and I also have an account with iTunes but none of it works, I will try this suggestion and see if that helps. BBC iplayer is a UK TV station and it let's us watch past programmes.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Iplayer works fine on the iPad, though if I have to watch another Timmy Time i shall scream.......
Any of the iPad browsers work, though I prefer iCab as it does full screen without that blasted browser bar.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just remembered the youtube app.
I personally I never use it and have it's ugly icon banished to the furthest page in outermost darkness.
Doesn't it work for you?

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ruthie, I see what you mean

Hi Ruthie
I tried to play BBC Internet videos and found out that they are streamed flash player format which do not work on iPad. I tried to find BBC iPlayer and found out that it will not be available in North America until next year. I am not sure what iCab is, when looking for this app all I found was iCab Mobile ( web browser) and I do not think it will play streamed flash player video. So I am no help to you.

Perhaps Hasty or others can help you.

Best of luck
Bruce

P.S. if you can not even get YouTube to work, I recommend taking your iPad to a Apple Store and get them to help you out.

Last edited:
OP
Ruthie

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good news

I have managed to play videos and YouTube and BBC iplayer by inserting the Ethernet cable into my computer. So simple when you know how. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. This is a great forum and I will be back!!

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad that you got it working

Hi Ruthie:

Glad that you got it working. but you got me stumped why not having the Ethernet cable plugged into to your computer would stop the iPad playing videos. Could it be possible that you do not have a wi/fi router?

On my system the Ethernet cable is connected to a D-link wi/fi router, off the router I have 2 lan ( local area network) cables that connect to a tower computer and TV. the router also broadcast wi/fi to my iPad and my wife's MacBook. On the iPad I setup through "settings" , "wi/fi" the connection to my router. When I have wi/fi Internet on my iPad on the top left of the screen next to iPad there is a series of semi-circles that show the strength of the wi/fi signal.

Reaction score
Ruthie said:
Thanks for the comments and now I'm going to be really stupid, but what is ripping?

Grab each end of the movie with your hands and tear it apart. :p

On a more serious note, ripping is the process of copying the DVD content onto a hard drive. If the DVD is copy-protected, you will need some software to circumvent it. A very good software for this is AnyDVD. Once he movie is on your hard drive, you can then proceed to convert it. Or convert it directly from the DVD, either way works.

Most reactions

Latest posts