What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with my bookmarks on my ipad

Mark649

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to get my bookmarks from my ipad on to a flash drive or some other device. I have several favorites and bookmarks but would like to remove them from ipad
Thanks
Mark

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

There's no easy way that I'm aware of to export your Safari bookmarks from the iPad - unlike with a PC-type browser. You can email them one-by-one, but that's hardly a viable solution if you have a large number that you want to export. Unless someone else has an idea, I think it simply can't be done.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check your sync settings in iTunes. With the iPad connected and selected, goto the Info tab and see what it says. It can sync bookmarks with some desktop browsers, like Apple's Safari. Internet Explorer and Firefox are probably possible too. Once bookmarks are synced to that browser you can use whatever export features it has.

You'll want to be very careful with setting it up. Don't chose anything that says it will overwrite the iPad's bookmarks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet, I never thought of that. It comes from never synching my iPad to my PC. Of course, sync your bookmarks...doh....:(

I'm embarrassed to say that I've been emailing mine....

Tim goes and hides.....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I keep Safari on my iMac and iPad in sync via MobileMe. It's a lot easier to organize the bookmarks on the computer.

For example, did you know that your Bookmarks Bar can have folders? You use them like little pulldown menus. All my Google site links are set up this way, so I just tap on Google, and then choose GMail, Calendar, etc.

This is a lot easier to set up on the desktop, though you can do it on the iPad too.

GoogleMenu.jpg

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's becoming embarrassing - but I really do learn something new each day. I had never realised that the Bookmarks Bar could have folders!! I'm off to set them up now....Thanks for that great tip....

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I doubt I've have figured it by itself. I learned to do it on the iMac shortly after the Bar was introduced. I read it in some article around that time, I think.

They showed up on the iPad when I set it up to sync bookmarks. It was a pleasant surprise.

Rotorhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Syncing Bookmarks

Be VERY carefull syncing bookmarks to at least IE. I did it and it was "almost" a major disaster. The syncing took all my bookmarks from IE...then took them out of the folders I had made for them and put ALL of them in one long list. Hundreds. Not workable.

The only sync on the iPad was the ones not in folders and they got transfered onto the iPad.

I immediately de-sync-ed bookmarks.

It took a long time to get everything straight again.

it might work different for you.............just be carefull and make a COPY of your bookmarks first. My backup was a month old so I had old bookmarks when I re-imported over tyhe sync disaster.

Regards
Steve

ellenrobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been searching for an app to synch my IPAD bookmarks to Chrome on my desktop. I had the same experience as Steve using Itunes to synch to IE. And, I don't use IE any longer so doesn't help anyway. I can use XMARKS to have my chrome bookmarks available on my IPAD (stored in the Xmarks app), but not the other way around. Anyone find anything recently?
Ellenrobi

Most reactions

Latest posts