What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Marvel comics app

Average Joe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know what could be wrong with the Marvel comics app?

I have just tried to use it to read some of their free preview comics, but I can't get it to work properly. I'm not sure if it's me or the app.

When I select the comic, there is no "read" button-- instead the button shows a down arrow.

When I press the button, the down arrow very briefly turns into a "read" button, but it won't stay that way. Repeated presses yield the same result.

At first I thought this meant it had to download the comic, but these free previews are only a few pages. It should download it quickly, if indeed that's what the down arrow button even means.

I watched a youtube video of someone demonstrating the app:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNx_XlK65k8]YouTube - ‪Marvel Comics iPad Review‬‏[/ame]

The bloke demonstrating this has blue "read" buttons on all his comics.

When I try the app, all I get are down arrow buttons-- and then the weird behavior I've described above.

The upshot is, I can't read any comics with this viewer.

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

Average Joe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you for the suggestions, Tim.

I didn't know about the recommendation to shut down the iPad at least once a week.

I tried the suggestions, but it didn't solve the problem with the Marvel Comics app.

I was able to come to a resolution, though.

It seems the designers of the Marvel app never bothered to tell users that if you don't set up an account with them, you can't read ANY comics, not even the free preview ones.

I wanted to try the reader before I set up any account. Setting up an account is a hassle, and I don't want my personal information hanging around someone's server if I decide not to purchase any comics or use this reader. And, naturally, there is NO way to delete an account.

I sent them feedback to this effect. I don't know how many others feel the way I do, but to me, setting up an account is what I do AFTER I have tried the reader and decided I like it, not before.

Lost revenue for Marvel, because I won't be their customer until this is fixed.

Most reactions

Latest posts