What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with ipad keypad driving me crazy

tomtg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone offer some advice please, whenever I visit a site on my ipad and I want to use the keypad unless the page is finished loading the keypad will appear then close, I've had it happen up to 5 times on 1 page if there is quite a lot of data. Is there a setting to stop this.

srcpt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone offer some advice please, whenever I visit a site on my ipad and I want to use the keypad unless the page is finished loading the keypad will appear then close, I've had it happen up to 5 times on 1 page if there is quite a lot of data. Is there a setting to stop this.

Happens to me, too.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Happens to me, too. Sent using Tapatalk HD
Hi, welcome to iPF!

There are no settings to stop this behaviour. However, this shouldn't happen.

Here are the usual fixes, if something isn't behaving as it should:

Restart your iPad: turn it off, wait for a few minutes, then turn it on again.

Reset it:
Press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.

Force close apps:
iOS 6: double tap Home button/four finger swipe upwards to reveal the multitask bar, then tap and hold an app icon until it starts to wiggle, delete apps.
iOS 7: same procedure to reveal multitask bar, swipe the thumbnails above app icons upwards towards the top ot the screen.

As this happens in Safari, also go to Settings - Safari, and delete/clear History, Cookies and Data there.

OP
T

tomtg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Than you, tried power down didn't work do you think my ipad is faulty? Using google chrome.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Than you, tried power down didn't work do you think my ipad is faulty? Using google chrome.
Please try everything else I suggested, too. Perhaps one of these will fix it.
This shouldn't happen with any browser.

OP
T

tomtg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi closed all apps powered down still doing it, something else I've noticed on a page with a drop down list of options if I open that before the page has fully loaded it does the same thing and and closes before I've had chance to make a selection.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let the site load fully, then use the keyboard. Perhaps then it will work.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's one of the idiosyncrasies on a mobile device. For whatever reason (on the iPad or the web site), if the coding to load the site is not finished, it will not recognize that the keyboard is ready to use. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent this except to wait for the web page to finish loading.

You can, however, try to speed the process along: When the web site is loading, you will see an "X" in the unibar (next to the web site URL). Press the "X" and the web site will stop loading. Hopefully, then, you'll get no interference and your keyboard will display properly so you can use it.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts