What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with DELETING MAIL.

MrFishers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I installed ios7, I all email that I have received (and deleted) since May, magically appeared in my INBOX ... All 13,000 of them. Someone tell me how to get rid of them (again), without doing it 50 at a time.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi MrFishers - welcome to the forum! :) I've not yet done the upgrade (now at 7.0.2, so about ready!) but 13K messages is astounding - you might want to provide some more: 1) How many mail accounts do you have setup in the Mail App; 2) I'm assuming that these are IMAP for incoming messages; and 3) Are you saving these messages on the mail servers of your accounts? I can only imagine that these messages were still being saved on your account(s) servers - hopefully others will 'chime in' who have gone to iOS 7 and have learned the 'new' features of the Mail App in this OS - good luck! I'll keep attention on this thread - probably will upgrade my two iPads this weekend. Dave

OP
MrFishers

MrFishers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have four mail accounts. The 13,000 messages is on just one account.

OP
MrFishers

MrFishers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
#3. No I am not saving them to the server. My desktop has zero messages for this account.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have four mail accounts. The 13,000 messages is on just one account.

#2. Yes. This is incoming mail

#3. No I am not saving them to the server. My desktop has zero messages for this account.

WOW - LOL :D - one post would have been fine - why not just 'delete' that account as suggested, and then set it up again? Hopefully, others may 'chime in' w/ other advise - not sure once deleted and re-established what may happen - i.e. hoping that your 'old' messages will NOT show up - good luck and let us know - I'm sure others are having similar mail problems - Dave :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The old messages would have to be sitting on the mail server to re-sync after the mail account is set-up on the iPad. Sounds like typical POP3/SMTP account behavior to me, with a keep mail on server setting on the server side.

If it were an IMAP account, any change on the home PC or IPad side would then be updated to the server and therefore each other.

If the former, a similar thing will occur again the next time a new iPad, iPhone, etc. is set-up with that mail account. I would be checking the server-side settings for a solution. Probably the best place to clear the unwanted emails as well.

Most reactions