Help with Contacts

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by jweakley, Apr 25, 2011.

1. jweakley

jweakley iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a collections of contacts on my iPad, but I added a contact and that action appears to have wiped out all previous contacts, as now only the added contact appears when I select that icon. Any suggestions? BTW, I don't sync often, so that may or may not be a recovery option.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,187 / 1
    Here is a scatter shot reply I made to a similar question earlier this week.

If none of that will work for you, let me know and I'll scratch my head some more and see if any of the fleas have ideas.

When/if you get it fixed I recommend syncing with an online service like Google. It can save a lot of headaches down the line.
  3. jweakley

jweakley iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Twerppoet, I am pretty much a beginner, so I don't know where to look for the Groups ribbon you mentioned. When I go to the Contacts icon I see two contacts and no other options. Previously I saw all contacts listed on the the left side of the screen in alphabetical order.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,187 / 1
    On the left page of the contacts you should have a search bar and just above and to the left a red ribbon with the word Groups printed in it.

Or if you've got only one account and no groups, I suppose it might not be there. I've never been in that situation.

Is the search field empty? If not then tap the little x to the right to clear it. The x will only appear if there is something in that field.
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,187 / 1
    I should have asked this first, as a just in case. Have you restarted the iPad since the problem showed up?

Hold down the power button until the red power off slider appears, then slide it off. Wait until if finishes shutting down, then hold the power button down again until the Apple logo appears.
  6. jweakley

jweakley iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did a reboot, but the situation is the same. Apparently I did something that wiped out all of my contacts when I added two others based upon a "create a new contact" instruction. Oh, well, I guess I start over. Thanks for your help. I am going to bed!

7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,187 / 1
  8. Resajo

Resajo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I need help with a iPad contact issue. There is no red ribbon that says groups in my address book....the book says "all contacts" I have added a few names to favorites ....and was wanting to access the list....but no way to see it? Or edit it if I cannot have the ribbon to access the groups....how do I get this back?
  9. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,187 / 1
    If you have no Groups ribbon it's probably because you don't have any groups set up. Groups can only be set up for iCloud accounts, and they have to be set up at icloud.com using a desktop browser.

The Favorites option does not actually do anything in Contacts. Instead it places the selected phone number(s) in the Favorites (star) tab in FaceTime or Phone app on the iPhone. It may do the same for other apps, but I can't think of any at the moment.