Help with a rip from DVD to iPad compatible format

Discussion in 'iPad FAQ' started by PhilipJFry, Jun 8, 2010.

1. daltonbaker

daltonbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For some reason Handbrake crashes every time I try to use it after install. Likely there is some conflict in the system?

So...I use iSky DVD. It is very easy though a bit expensive at 29.00 or so.

2. aRJedi

aRJedi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest ripping it to AVI using a number of free programs that are out there. There was a site I frequented before that had EVERYTHING you need including programs and how-to's to rip everything to any format.

My personal suggestion after ripping your videos to avi format is to get the AirVideo app from the appstore. At 2.99, it's a steal at twice the price. That way, you have access to ALL your videos without the inconvenience of filling up the storage of the iPad.

3. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    check out the new sponsors software, it may be good for those who dont know much about computers or want to do several steps to rip dvd to ipad.

company is xilisoft

try the free trial and see if you like it. The process of ripping from dvd to ipad cant be made any simpler. However I think the framerate may be a little less than other rippers. run the free trial and see for yourself if its ok.

4. john302

john302
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    You can download ipad converter to convert dvd to ipad,do not believe the software for free,I have tried couple of times,does not work.I recommend you a nice one,hope it would help.
    ipad-videoconverter.org

5. u01jsw6

u01jsw6
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    just use cinexplayer!!

6. HaroldOhio

HaroldOhio
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use DVD Catalyst 3 to convert DVD's to iPad
    The program is very simple to use but costs $10. I'am 63 and if I can use this software anyone can. Converted Harry Potter movie last night. This program is for PC.

Go to tools4movies

There is a free trial version.

Once the movie is ripped go to iTunes and load it to your iPad. Select File, Add File to Library, point to the folder and the movie and click ok. Synnc your iPad and the movie wil be there on your iPad

7. Jessicaem

Jessicaem
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Handbrake doesn't have iPad profile yet. But you can output to MPEG4 video, as iPad can read it. If you're looking for a direct dvd-to-ipad converter, here is a ipad converters list with in-depth review I stumbled into yesterday from
    http://www.bigbigsoft.com/video/category/id/dvd-to-ipad

8. SimplyBea

SimplyBea
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Link won't load.........

:confused:

9. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    MakeMkv beta to rip the DVD to an MKV file, then convert that to m4v using handbrake - I use the universal setting as I use the video on my phone, iPad, and AppleTV. Both bits of software are free, and it's all fairly straightforward to use.

MakeMkv ripped my DVD copy of avatar without any issues, and bizarrely the only DVD it took a little longer with was an ancient copy of A Few Good Men which obviously has some obscure copy protection! Still got through it in the end though.

10. Spectral

Spectral
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Got same problem to

Besides handbrake, do we have another option? Handbrake good enough but not faster enough. Cmiiw tq