Help with a rip from DVD to iPad compatible format

Discussion in 'iPad FAQ' started by PhilipJFry, Jun 8, 2010.

1. PhilipJFry

PhilipJFry iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Please, I need help.

I have read each of the threads I could find on this, so linking to them will not help unless you can highlight the information I am just not getting.

I am barely computer competent. I can use internet, word processing, light power point, etc. But I understand very little of the jargon.

I would like to get my DVDs of the Star Wars trilogy ripped and onto my iPad. They are currently on a DVD. I don't have a .avi or .wav or .pcp or .opp or anything of them. So if you can explain to me (as some threads seem to) how to turn a .avi file into an .m4v or .mp4 (I believe those are the types iPad plays nice with), that is great, but not helpful.

I downloaded DVDDecrypter and Handbrake, because from the threads I read, I understood that these two in conjunction can get me the .mp4 or .m4v I desperately need. I tried to find a "how to" that would hold my hand through the process. I followed some instructions I could find - but even when I believed I was following to the letter, I got nothing. Or more precisely, I got a pile of files that do nothing.

Would some willing, tech savvy, and merciful soul please walk me through this process in detail a 92 year old grandma can understand (I am not afraid of computers, see, I just can't get this to work) or provide a link to a place I might find the information?

I thank you in advance for your time.
  2. FrostyFire

FrostyFire iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Are you using a Mac or a PC?
  3. PhilipJFry

PhilipJFry iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great question - the type of thing I should have written about in my initial post. I use a PC.
  4. FrostyFire

FrostyFire iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Have you seen this video?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCINO48CiU]YouTube - DVD to iPad-How to Convert DVD to iPad and Watch Movie on iPad.mp4[/ame]
  5. PhilipJFry

PhilipJFry iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Isn't that the one that advocates paying to buy a program that can do what other programs do for free? Because if it is, I'd rather use the free programs.
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I use a paid program, and it's simple as hell. Plus it comes with a lot of other valuable software, like converting AVI files to DVD etc, and a regular burn software.

I use Nero Suite 10, it's like 70 bucks. If you change your mind about going the more difficult but free route, I would suggest trying this out.
  7. PhilipJFry

PhilipJFry iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, so I am half way home - maybe. I managed to get DVD Decrypter to make a very nice VOB file of the movie I am working on. But I cannot get Handbrake to do anything with it, and Videora claims it will work, but the product is garbage. Any suggestions that don't involve throwing money at the problem?

For the record, I don;t want to sound ungrateful to those who suggested buying a program. It is just that the money has to come from somewhere, and right now I'd rather not.
  8. PhilipJFry

PhilipJFry iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got ti figured out! Star Wars has never looked better than on the screen of the iPad.
  9. Kinch

Kinch iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well done Philip. Can you detail what you did so the next person with a similar query will learn what to do?
  10. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    So what problems are you having with Handbrake? It is the only thing I use for converting video to mp4 format... after decrypting the DVD... and it works great!
  11. gad5264

gad5264 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Philip,
    I am in the same boat that you were starting out. I also use a PC and have no idea of where to even start with the dvd ripping process. I am an avid woodworker and have several instructionional project dvd's that I would like to rip/convert and view on my iPad(64g-wifi) during trips or even during lunch at work. Anything that you can share would be GREATLY appreiciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Grant
  12. kierandill

kierandill iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For Windows, the easiest solution is to buy AnyDVD. This is essentially a driver that decrypts DVDs on the fly. Then you can use any DVD ripping/remastering software you want, because the the DVD appears to not be encrypted. In the case of Handbrake, you can go direct from DVD to MP4 in one step.
  13. Kinch

Kinch iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks Kieran and zaraly.Enjoy your iPads:)
  14. yelloaeo

yelloaeo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    rip dvd to ipad
  15. LeeB

LeeB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK, I'm on PC. And whereas I'd LOVE to have a free program to rip and convert DVD's to something iPad friendly, I'm also not adverse to paying for something that will actually work. And I'm not talking about a program that requires a PhD in technology to decipher: I want something simple and one step, i.e., open the program, pop in a disc, tell the program to convert it, walk away and come back to a completed project that actually works with no further hassle.

Does such a thing exist?
  16. markk100

markk100 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Morning Lee,

I'm in the same boat as many on this thread. Never had a need to rip any DVD's until the iPad waltzed into my life.

Last night I purchased Winx DVD Platinum (29.95), that will take a DVD (encrypted or not) and take it right to mp4. Seems to me that it's a one stop shop. One click to mp4 solution.

Now, I ran my first movie last night. So, I haven't been able to move it to iPad yet. However, I can't figure out why it won't work.

We'll see, but you might want to look into Winx DVD. They have a free version, but if you have any copyright protected media, it won't rip those, you have to purchase the upgrade.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

M
  17. ipadfans

ipadfans iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I can tell you the answer is yes. My recommendation to you is that after checking the tech forum and my own experience tells the most easy and stable converter would be Cucusoft dvd to ipad converter, it is not free converter like handbrake, however it does't required high degree of converter knowleadge and IT skills (I heard that even some IT geeks with phd degree having hassles with hanbrake) so by chipping some bucks, less than 30 bucks, you can have mind rested and get things done well, ie, your money will be paid off. TO get a cucusoft DVD to iPad Converter for window: DVD to iPad Converter - - iPad Converter, for mac version: DVD to iPad Converter for Mac - - iPad Converter
  18. LeeB

LeeB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you for your suggestions, Gentlemen. I got antsy and purchased a copy of 123CopyDVD Gold ... after all, the box said it would do everything I needed :rolleyes:. I just got the opportunity to try it. After several hours of pre-processing and then converting, it flashed a screen that said the conversion was successful (I thought I'd try Apple TV vs. iPod) -- but I'll be darned if I know where it went! It never gave me the option of where to save the file, and I did a "search" and can't find it.

Like I said, I don't mind paying $$$ for something that works, but I'm getting tired of spending the money on stuff that *doesn't* work.

Are you happy with what you purchased?
  19. ipadfans

ipadfans iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Totally agree with what you said, mate! money can save lots of time sometimes, however, you should buy the right software instead...

So far, my experience with DVD to iPad Converter - - iPad Converter is very good, no hussle at all and I can't be more happy with it.
  20. LeeB

LeeB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK, last night I purchased the program ... "assuming" that if it was for iPad alone, that it would be what I needed with no problems. The registration key was a bit late in arriving, but that's OK: it got here. Then I tried to copy Avatar. It worked, but it brought it down in 3 installments, not one continuous movie. And that's not acceptable. I haven't had the opportunity to check their website yet to see what happened, but if you have any suggestions ... ?

I finally figured out the 123CopyDVD ... it works, but if I use the settings for Apple TV, it won't copy to the iPad (iTunes says it's not the right kind of file), and if I use settings for iTouch, it pixilates badly (difference in screen size?)

I had high hopes for a converter that was iPad specific, but not if it splits the movie.