What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with a rip from DVD to iPad compatible format

PhilipJFry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please, I need help.

I have read each of the threads I could find on this, so linking to them will not help unless you can highlight the information I am just not getting.

I am barely computer competent. I can use internet, word processing, light power point, etc. But I understand very little of the jargon.

I would like to get my DVDs of the Star Wars trilogy ripped and onto my iPad. They are currently on a DVD. I don't have a .avi or .wav or .pcp or .opp or anything of them. So if you can explain to me (as some threads seem to) how to turn a .avi file into an .m4v or .mp4 (I believe those are the types iPad plays nice with), that is great, but not helpful.

I downloaded DVDDecrypter and Handbrake, because from the threads I read, I understood that these two in conjunction can get me the .mp4 or .m4v I desperately need. I tried to find a "how to" that would hold my hand through the process. I followed some instructions I could find - but even when I believed I was following to the letter, I got nothing. Or more precisely, I got a pile of files that do nothing.

Would some willing, tech savvy, and merciful soul please walk me through this process in detail a 92 year old grandma can understand (I am not afraid of computers, see, I just can't get this to work) or provide a link to a place I might find the information?

I thank you in advance for your time.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you seen this video?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCINO48CiU]YouTube - DVD to iPad-How to Convert DVD to iPad and Watch Movie on iPad.mp4[/ame]

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a paid program, and it's simple as hell. Plus it comes with a lot of other valuable software, like converting AVI files to DVD etc, and a regular burn software.

I use Nero Suite 10, it's like 70 bucks. If you change your mind about going the more difficult but free route, I would suggest trying this out.

OP
PhilipJFry

PhilipJFry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so I am half way home - maybe. I managed to get DVD Decrypter to make a very nice VOB file of the movie I am working on. But I cannot get Handbrake to do anything with it, and Videora claims it will work, but the product is garbage. Any suggestions that don't involve throwing money at the problem?

For the record, I don;t want to sound ungrateful to those who suggested buying a program. It is just that the money has to come from somewhere, and right now I'd rather not.

OP
PhilipJFry

PhilipJFry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got ti figured out! Star Wars has never looked better than on the screen of the iPad.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what problems are you having with Handbrake? It is the only thing I use for converting video to mp4 format... after decrypting the DVD... and it works great!

gad5264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got ti figured out! Star Wars has never looked better than on the screen of the iPad.

Well done Philip. Can you detail what you did so the next person with a similar query will learn what to do?

Philip,
I am in the same boat that you were starting out. I also use a PC and have no idea of where to even start with the dvd ripping process. I am an avid woodworker and have several instructionional project dvd's that I would like to rip/convert and view on my iPad(64g-wifi) during trips or even during lunch at work. Anything that you can share would be GREATLY appreiciated.

Thanks in advance,
Grant

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For Windows, the easiest solution is to buy AnyDVD. This is essentially a driver that decrypts DVDs on the fly. Then you can use any DVD ripping/remastering software you want, because the the DVD appears to not be encrypted. In the case of Handbrake, you can go direct from DVD to MP4 in one step.

Kinch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For Windows, the easiest solution is to buy AnyDVD. This is essentially a driver that decrypts DVDs on the fly. Then you can use any DVD ripping/remastering software you want, because the the DVD appears to not be encrypted. In the case of Handbrake, you can go direct from DVD to MP4 in one step.

Thanks Kieran and zaraly.Enjoy your iPads:)

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I'm on PC. And whereas I'd LOVE to have a free program to rip and convert DVD's to something iPad friendly, I'm also not adverse to paying for something that will actually work. And I'm not talking about a program that requires a PhD in technology to decipher: I want something simple and one step, i.e., open the program, pop in a disc, tell the program to convert it, walk away and come back to a completed project that actually works with no further hassle.

Does such a thing exist?

Most reactions

Latest posts