What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!! Using handbrake to rip dvd to transfer to ipad

MuiMui89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

So I took up study and read about all the good ripping sites and apps to use and I finally decided on Handbrake which started off great, basically I:
>ripped bought DVD to handbrake on my MacBook pro
>clicked and dragged movie into iTunes
>clicked and dragged into 'movies' folder on iPad
>once downloaded disconnected iPad from mac and started to watch movie
>movie came out fuzzy and pixelated

So my question is
1. Does this happen to every bought DVD if you are ripping it?
2. how can I stop the downloaded movie becoming pixelated and fuzzy?
3.will I get into trouble for ripping a bought DVD?
4. Finally would it be due to me having the laptop on my lap while downloading the movie to handbrake and me slightly moving around (only say that as I have burnt CDs before and if laptop moves while burning they come up dodgy)?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MuiMui89 said:
Hi all

So I took up study and read about all the good ripping sites and apps to use and I finally decided on Handbrake which started off great, basically I:
>ripped bought DVD to handbrake on my MacBook pro
>clicked and dragged movie into iTunes
>clicked and dragged into 'movies' folder on iPad
>once downloaded disconnected iPad from mac and started to watch movie
>movie came out fuzzy and pixelated

So my question is
1. Does this happen to every bought DVD if you are ripping it?
2. how can I stop the downloaded movie becoming pixelated and fuzzy?
3.will I get into trouble for ripping a bought DVD?
4. Finally would it be due to me having the laptop on my lap while downloading the movie to handbrake and me slightly moving around (only say that as I have burnt CDs before and if laptop moves while burning they come up dodgy)?

Are you not using one of the built in presets that handbrake includes? It usually takes to long to have our computer on you lap....why do you do that?

OP
MuiMui89

MuiMui89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I'm very new to iPad so please simplify :)
I usually do work and email clients at my bench but I was sitting on the couch and watching tv at the same time ( sort of multitasking)
If you slightly move the lap top can it ruin the ripping process??

Thanks for your reply

Muimui

OP
MuiMui89

MuiMui89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It also says when I first insert the DVD to rip I need libdvdcss ?? I went on the net to find a way to install that but it was very hard to understand.

Is there a simplified description somewhere??

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MuiMui89 said:
It also says when I first insert the DVD to rip I need libdvdcss ?? I went on the net to find a way to install that but it was very hard to understand.

Please do not post more than once on an issue, this divides the info given and makes it confusing for members to follow as well as being against Forum Rules. One of your posts has now been deleted.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you use the preset for the iPad? I don't use a MAC (well, I don't use Handbrake on a MAC), so I'm not sure what the menu screen looks like. I won't post a screen shot since you seem to have the problem worked out.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MuiMui89 said:

From memory, when I did this it gave me the option to download libdvdcss from within HandBrake, I just clicked on it and it downloaded and installed automatically and runs in the background when HandBrake is running.

On the right hand side of the screen you should have a list, something like iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc, just click on iPad and it should rip it in the right format and settings.

One thing to note, I have a few Region 1 DVD's (my region is 2) and these don't come out very well when converted.

The Archangel

OP
MuiMui89

MuiMui89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
From memory, when I did this it gave me the option to download libdvdcss from within HandBrake, I just clicked on it and it downloaded and installed automatically and runs in the background when HandBrake is running.

On the right hand side of the screen you should have a list, something like iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc, just click on iPad and it should rip it in the right format and settings.

One thing to note, I have a few Region 1 DVD's (my region is 2) and these don't come out very well when converted.

The Archangel

Hi Gabriel 1

Thank you for the help I had a look on handbrake and it came up with the libdvdcss icon like you said.

It downloaded it and now ripped movies are coming out perfect. I have now put them on my iPad.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MuiMui89 said:
Hi Gabriel 1

Thank you for the help I had a look on handbrake and it came up with the libdvdcss icon like you said.

It downloaded it and now ripped movies are coming out perfect. I have now put them on my iPad.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Woohoo! That is great to hear! I'm glad that it's all working.

BTW, if you have a Mac as well you might want to trawl over to our sister forum, appleforums.net where we discuss everything Apple related.......but don't leave us here!

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Woohoo! That is great to hear! I'm glad that it's all working.

BTW, if you have a Mac as well you might want to trawl over to our sister forum, appleforums.net where we discuss everything Apple related.......but don't leave us here!

The Archangel

Just got an air, so I guess I need to do this too. Is there an app for that forum?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Just got an air, so I guess I need to do this too. Is there an app for that forum?

Unfortunately there isn't an App, but Tapatalk HD App works with it......but when you get over there tell them you want an app (but don't tell the Admin's that I said so!)

I have an Air too, there are a few of us over there with them.

The Archangel

OP
MuiMui89

MuiMui89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again :)

Yes I have a Mac pro (becoming a bit of a fanatic to apple products)
I shall take a look.

Thanks heaps guys :):):):):)

Most reactions

Latest posts