What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP!!!!! Unsyned ipad with lost passcode! Need to download precious data!!!!!

MLGonzalez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi...I have posted this in other areas, so you may have already come across my plea for help. Please forgive me but I am desperate!
I need some advice....
I have an unsynced ipad that has a lost passcode. Can't remember it for the life of me and I have only 2 more tries before, according to the unhelpful Apple helpdesk lady, I lose everything. I have never synced it to my computer...even though my husband suggested I do several times and I really wished I listened to him more often. Ugh. I'm a bad wife and a bad ipad user!
Now, I have read about getting around the lost passcode & restoring it via ITunes, but all that info seem to say that I will lose all the data on the machine that isn't backed up.
This cannot happen!!! There are pictures & movies on there that are irreplaceable (my grandmother's funeral, my son's 1st birthday, etc.) Stuff I absolutely cannot lose!!!! I am scared to try anything for fear that it might! So it is currently powered down and is a every expensive paperweight! HELP please!
What can I do? I am happy to restore everything but only AFTER I know all the pictures & movies are safely backed up.
Somehow, I don't think I'm the only person in the Apple universe that this has happened to. Or maybe I am...sure feels like it at the moment! :(
Any advice would be awesome.
Thank you!!!

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
please refrain from duplicate posting and wait for someone to reply,thank you.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try plugging it into your computer and using Windows Explorer to access the photographs. It may be possible, even though the iPad is locked. I've never tried so I don't know for sure.

You cannot get round the Passcode so the only thing you may be able to retrieve is photographs.

I'll close your other thread do that any other answers get posted here.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
M

MLGonzalez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations of the single post. Sorry about that...just over anxious. I will try the windows explorer avenue, who knows, it may work.
I will report back.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations of the single post. Sorry about that...just over anxious. I will try the windows explorer avenue, who knows, it may work.
I will report back.
thats ok,i understand,hope it works for you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MLGonzalez said:
I will report back.

Let us know if it works, it will help others with the same problem.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, I activated the passcode on my iPad and then plugged it into my Windows 7 computer. The Windows Explorer box came up and I was able to open the DCIM folder where all my pictures are - without having to enter the passcode on the iPad.

In addition, I could go to My Computer (on the desktop computer) and browse that way to the iPad's DCIM folder. At no time did my computer tell me I could not have access to that folder.

Then, regardless of how I got into the DCIM folder, I was able to copy the contents and then paste them to my desktop computer. Again, I received no errors or warnings saying that I couldn't do this because the iPad was locked. Do note that iTunes was NOT running at either time.

So, I believe this will work for you. Which is a good thing, because the only other way to get into an iPad whose password you've forgotten is to restore it. And, restoring it will wipe out all it's contents (as restoring puts it back in "like new" condition).

I hope this reassures.

Marilyn

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's great to hear, Marilyn. I suspected it might work, but as usual, I'm 600 miles from my computer so I couldn't check.

Thanks for doing the experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just FMI, can she access movies in this manner also? Or just the pictures?

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just ran across a computer program that may help. It will access anything on the iGadget like Finder on Macs or Explorer on PCs. IExplorer. I just tried it and could see my movies! Then could just drag and drop.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wokiebear said:
I just ran across a computer program that may help. It will access anything on the iGadget like Finder on Macs or Explorer on PCs. IExplorer. I just tried it and could see my movies! Then could just drag and drop.

It won't be able to access a password protected device where you don't know the password.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it works for movies and pictures - anything in the DCIM folder.

...a brief pause...

Yep. I made a movie on my iPad3 and the connected to the computer as before. No troubles accessing and copying the movie to my desktop computer.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts