1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Help smashed my ipad screen ;(

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by mancuk29, Aug 5, 2012.

1. mancuk29

mancuk29 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ]Disaster yesterday with my £649 64gb 4g iPad .. I was picking it up at my other in laws and dropped it on a stone floor

Luckily I had a protective case on so there is no damage to the case itself just the digitiser is smashed as the screen underneath is perfect

I have gadget insurance on the iPad but am in a dilemma

I haves £85excess to pay so wonder what my options are before I go through the insurance

If my insurance replaces the iPad I can't claim again in the 12 months as its one of their conditions so would rather see what e,se I can do

I'm in the uk for your info

If I go to apple will they be able to repair the digitiser and if so what is the cost ?

I have seen an online. Company who are based near me in Manchester who will replace the digitiser for around £70 but am worried it won't be genuine apple parts

Can apple tell if my digitiser has been changed ? I have looked on line and it's only a case of removing the digitiser and replace it so unless apple look inside will they be able to tell ?

Has anyone used protect your bubble who I'm insured with will they repair it of give me new one ?

I'm hoping not to lose,my warranty as I have a 2 year John Lewis warranty (2nnd year is direct with John Lewis first year is apple)

I know it's only a damaged screen but it's the most horrible experience I have ever had I'm sure loads of you have done the same so open to any suggestions

Thanks
  2. hpulmer

hpulmer iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    All because of your mother in law?!
    Seriously, what kind of insurance tells you not to have another case in the next 12 month... what is that worth as an insurance...
    However, I would go the correct way, go to your insurance (that's what you've got it for, right?)...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

(EDIT:) Oh, by the way, I really feel with you, I am really sorry for the broken screen... (/EDIT)
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    It makes no sense to buy insurance on an iPad and then not use it in a situation like this. I have applecare plus. It lasts for two years and you get two incidents. You must pay $50 for each incident. If I have an accident then it goes to them for repair. I will not consider any other option as this is the very reason for the insurance. This is a worry free, hassle free policy, as is yours. Use it.
  4. goneoffyoghurt

goneoffyoghurt iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in Germany and completely smashed the digitiser. Knowing that apple wouldn't cover that I didn't get insurance. Fortunately it isn't too difficult to replace and the parts only cost about €70. Easier and cheaper to repair yourself or get a friend who knows about anything electronic to do it.