What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please to transfer items from laptop

Periwinkle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, I purchased magazine downloads and video downloads recently from a company in the USA. I have been buying their paper magazines for years. I initially tried to download them straight to the iPad but found i could not do this. They helped me to transfer the products into iTunes on my laptop and i can see them there, but when I sync the laptop to my iPad they do not transfer. Any ideas ??

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What type of files are they? If they are unusual file types you may need a specific app to see them?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there, I purchased magazine downloads and video downloads recently from a company in the USA. I have been buying their paper magazines for years. I initially tried to download them straight to the iPad but found i could not do this. They helped me to transfer the products into iTunes on my laptop and i can see them there, but when I sync the laptop to my iPad they do not transfer. Any ideas ??

Hi there- you have posted this in the User News Section which you may not receive as much attention as you hope. We will move it to the Help section for you.

OP
P

Periwinkle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi there- you have posted this in the User News Section which you may not receive as much attention as you hope. We will move it to the Help section for you.

Thank you, you see I really don't know what 'I'm doing !!

OP
P

Periwinkle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
followthesapper said:
What type of files are they? If they are unusual file types you may need a specific app to see them?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me !
I have no idea what type of files the are but I really don't think that they are unusual file types as the instructions for download to iPad were just to pull them into iTunes on your laptop and sync them to your iPad . I'm sure I'm just missing some button click or setting as it seemed to be so straightforward. One file is a bunch of back issues of a magazine and there are two video downloads.
Any ideas ?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Periwinkle said:
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me !
I have no idea what type of files the are but I really don't think that they are unusual file types as the instructions for download to iPad were just to pull them into iTunes on your laptop and sync them to your iPad . I'm sure I'm just missing some button click or setting as it seemed to be so straightforward. One file is a bunch of back issues of a magazine and there are two video downloads.
Any ideas ?

Where in iTunes do they appear? I would think the magazines would be under Books, and the videos under Movies. Whilst your iPad is plugged in, click on the device in the left hand column. You should see tabs across the screen, check the Books tab and Movies tab and see what your settings are for syncing. Possibly they are set to sync nothing. You can adjust accordingly and hit Sync.

The magazines should show in the iBooks app (make sure you have it installed), and the videos should appear in the Video app.

OP
P

Periwinkle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Where in iTunes do they appear? I would think the magazines would be under Books, and the videos under Movies. Whilst your iPad is plugged in, click on the device in the left hand column. You should see tabs across the screen, check the Books tab and Movies tab and see what your settings are for syncing. Possibly they are set to sync nothing. You can adjust accordingly and hit Sync.

The magazines should show in the iBooks app (make sure you have it installed), and the videos should appear in the Video app.

Yes you are right. The magazines are under 'books' and I did as you said, I checked the books tab and a screen opened with the magazines I'm trying to move all there but in grey so that I can't check them individually. The 'all books' and 'selected books' options are also in grey . I checked the 'sync books' option which is in black, and the following message appeared..'Are you sure you want to sync books. All existing songs, films and TV programs on the iPad will be removed'. I bottled out at that stage as I don't want that to happen. Or will they be restored when it is finished ??

What do you advise ??

OP
P

Periwinkle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:

Yes. The magazines are under books and I did as you said and checked the books tab. The magazines were all there, but in grey so i could not check them. The following mess appeared...Are you sure you want to sync books? All existing songs, films, and TV program's on the iPad will be removed.'. I bottled out at this point !! When I tried the videos, again I could see what I want to sync, again in grey, but this time the message also said that the songs, films and TV program's will be replaced with films from your iTunes library.

Now what do I do ??

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Periwinkle said:
Yes. The magazines are under books and I did as you said and checked the books tab. The magazines were all there, but in grey so i could not check them. The following mess appeared...Are you sure you want to sync books? All existing songs, films, and TV program's on the iPad will be removed.'. I bottled out at this point !! When I tried the videos, again I could see what I want to sync, again in grey, but this time the message also said that the songs, films and TV program's will be replaced with films from your iTunes library.

Now what do I do ??

Have you ever synced your iPad before? If you have not synced any songs, films and TV programs via iTunes before, then just ignore the message because there is nothing to remove anyway.

OP
P

Periwinkle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Have you ever synced your iPad before? If you have not synced any songs, films and TV programs via iTunes before, then just ignore the message because there is nothing to remove anyway.

Thank you so so much for your help. I have never actively synced before, just connected the iPad to my laptop and it said it was syncing so I didn't know any better. All done now, but I would never have done it without your help. You've made my day.

Thanks !

Most reactions

Latest posts