What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Please Skype on Ipad2

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I leave the Skype application open on the Ipad screen with me signed in, close the folding cover, it will receive calls for hours.
The settings are set to never switch Skype off,

Without using the Ipad for the rest of the day, when I check it in the morning it looks fine, still says I am signed in, but when my friend calls me it says I am not on-line.

If I then press the Home button and reselect Skype it normally comes up with " connecting in the status line" then its ok again till the next day.

I am going daft trying to find this problem, can anyone suggest a fix.

Don't have this problem if I use the same account on a windows laptop.

Michael

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
miguels said:
If I leave the Skype application open on the Ipad screen with me signed in, close the folding cover, it will receive calls for hours.
The settings are set to never switch Skype off,

Without using the Ipad for the rest of the day, when I check it in the morning it looks fine, still says I am signed in, but when my friend calls me it says I am not on-line.

If I then press the Home button and reselect Skype it normally comes up with " connecting in the status line" then its ok again till the next day.

I am going daft trying to find this problem, can anyone suggest a fix.

Don't have this problem if I use the same account on a windows laptop.

Michael

I have also found Skype's status indicator to be unreliable with the iPad 2 (an impression). I *have* experienced the not online problem; my iPad does not ring sometimes; and the other party gets a message similar to yours on many occasions when Skype is, in fact, up and running. I hadn't noticed the partial fix that you mention above. Another temporary solution might be to have the other party call ones online Skype number, but I have not tested to see if that works yet.

Last edited:
OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the other party rings my Skype from his Desktop Linux machine, it just says I am off line.

Another interesting point. The Desktop machine of my friend keeps popping up message boxes saying, My Ipad is on line, then a little later, My Ipad is off line, repeatedly. During all this time I have never touched the Ipad.

It obviously thinks I am signing in and out of Skype!!! when I am not.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's maybe down to how iOS treats background apps - it's not actually true multitasking so many apps get suspended and periodically refreshed if they sit in the background.
That would explain why your friend thinks your going on- and off- line all the time.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had not thought of the multitasking aspect but, since it is more than just a task switcher and appears to operate perfectly in the background, that wouldn't appear to be the cause to me. If it were a simple task switcher, it would certainly explain things. Of course, there could be a bug there.

The messages that your friend is getting might be the result of a bad signal, but I'm just guessing. I suspect that, for some reason, the developers at Skype lost their desire and drive to keep improving the program somewhere along the line, and that these are just unaddressed bugs. Or, something else may have prevented them from coming out with a native iPad version earlier (although I believe that they have announced that they will have one before the end of the year). It's too bad because the first releases for the iPhone impressed everyone. Maybe the Microsoft acquisition will turn out to be a very positive thing for Skype... we are certainly likely to see dramatic changes, sooner rather than later.

I'll keep studying the points that are mentioned here and will post again if I figure anything out. Thanks for bringing up the subject, I use the program often and have just lived with the "bugs" while hoping for an an eventual update.

Last edited:
OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the advice offered, I too use the program regularly and would love to see a working bug free Ipad version. As you say, let's hope Microsoft sort them out, asap.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts