What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please re: updates ipad mini

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should I update icloud control panel and also quicktime on my ipad mini? I am not very good with technical issues.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there are updates for your iPad, you'll find them in App Store - Updates. Apps that need updating will be found there. Quicktime and icloud Control Panel are none of these.

Software updates for an iPad (iOS) can be found in Settings - General - Software Updates. The latest software is iOS 7.1.2. Either you'll find "Software is up to date" there, or the offer to update the device, nothing else.

iCloud Control Panel and Quicktime can be updated on a computer (Windows in this case), but not on the iPad. Other than the places that I mentioned above, there's nothing else where you can update.

Hope that helps.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there are updates for your iPad, you'll find them in App Store - Updates. Apps that need updating will be found there. Quicktime and icloud Control Panel are none of these.

Software updates for an iPad (iOS) can be found in Settings - General - Software Updates. The latest software is iOS 7.1.2. Either you'll find "Software is up to date" there, or the offer to update the device, nothing else.

iCloud Control Panel and Quicktime can be updated on a computer (Windows in this case), but not on the iPad. Other than the places that I mentioned above, there's nothing else where you can update.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so very much. I apologize for any confusion with my post.......I found these two updates options on my desktop Apple Software feature, and I am not sure what they are for and if it is wise to proceed with these updates.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These are updates for the software on your Windows computer. If you use iCloud, it's a good idea to update the Control Panel. You don't need to update Quicktime, if you don't intend to use it.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are updates for the software on your Windows computer. If you use iCloud, it's a good idea to update the Control Panel. You don't need to update Quicktime, if you don't intend to use it.
Thank you. I am a tech challenged Senior. Can you please tell me what QuickTime would be for, also I don't know what iCloud is or what it would be used for. Thanks very much.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iCloud is how your computer and your iPad keep some data synced (calendars, contacts, etc). You may or may not be using it. It won't hurt to update it.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, thank you, I am updating now. Sometimes I have to press the ipad home button three times before there is a response, and then too, sometimes when I press the home button, my windows on the iPad mini get small.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you double tap the button, it will look like this:
image.jpg

Usually you do this to force close apps.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, yes this is what i see when I double click home button, windows shrink, here I thought my mini ipad was defective. I double click home button because I want to take a fresh look either at my email or look something up by doing a search on safari, but I always get these smaller windows. I wonder is there a better way to get around getting these small windows?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just tap once, or if you're in an app, don't use the Home button to close it, but pinch to close it: put all fingers on the screen and slide them together. This will get you back to the homescreen.

If you had opened the app you want to view before, put all four fingers on the screen, next to each other (not the thumb) and slide to the right or left. This will bring you to a previous opened app.

Or put four/five fingers onto the screen and slide them upwards. You'll get the same view as my screenshot in my last post. Now you're able to slide left or right easily (one finger only) and search for an app that was used before, or tap the homescreen picture (on my screenshot at the left) to get to the homescreen and select the app you need.

This will only work when you've enabled Multitasking Gestures in Settings - General.

Last edited:
OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tap once, or if you're in an app, don't use the Home button to close it, but pinch to close it: put all fingers on the screen and slide them together. This will get you back to the homescreen.

If you had opened the app you want to view before, put all four fingers on the screen, next to each other (not the thumb) and slide to the right or left. This will bring you to a previous opened app.

Or put four/five fingers onto the screen and slide them upwards. You'll get the same view as my screenshot in my last post. Now you're able to slide left or right easily (one finger only) and search for an app that was used before, or tap the homescreen picture (on my screenshot at the left) to get to the homescreen and select the app you need.

This will only work when you've enabled Multitasking Gestures in Settings - General.
You are so very kind and helpful and I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me.. I hope if I have questions in the future, I can locate you. Have a Blessed day. I have to leave now for the dinner hour.

Most reactions