What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please: Dimensions of the Smart Cover??

unyi3lding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just got my iPad last week, but held off from buying a cover.. Couldn't quite justify spending $40 for something that only protects half of my new gizmo :p

I do like the way the Smart Cover folds into a stand, and I'm assuming a lot of work went into the dimensions of the partitions on cover. I have an idea for making my own cover, but I need some help before I can draw up some designs...

Would someone with a Smart Cover kindly measure the width of each section of the Smart Cover? :) I'm currently doing some trial+error mock ups and would like to compare how close I am to the dimensions that the Apple boffins came up with.

Thanks!

OP
U

unyi3lding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, so I sneaked a tape measure into an Apple Store today, and it looks like the following measurements

1.5" + 1.5" + 2.8" + 1.5"

NOTE! These measurements are approximate! I had to do them through the plastic box... :D If anyone bought one (I know there are a lot you out there who did!!) and would like to offer their measurements, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm planning on making my own case... Something along the lines of the DIY Moleskine project....

Last edited:

allakazoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just got my iPad last week, but held off from buying a cover.. Couldn't quite justify spending $40 for something that only protects half of my new gizmo :p

I do like the way the Smart Cover folds into a stand, and I'm assuming a lot of work went into the dimensions of the partitions on cover. I have an idea for making my own cover, but I need some help before I can draw up some designs...

Would someone with a Smart Cover kindly measure the width of each section of the Smart Cover? :) I'm currently doing some trial+error mock ups and would like to compare how close I am to the dimensions that the Apple boffins came up with.

Thanks!

Find a friend who has one. Find a photocopier. You'll have the exact dimension in no time. :) It's a pity I don't have one, else I would have mailed you a photocopy...

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2?
Serious?
Considering what you have already spent, $40 is a minimal investment.
You may end up spending lots more to reinvent the wheel and it may not be as functional or as attractive.
I must be nuts then that I bought the black leather for $69 and am now considering a red one also.

OP
U

unyi3lding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes, $40 is not much compared to the price of a new iPad. however, considering the shortfalls of the smartcover, I think it's simply not worth it and decided to take matters into my own hands

Instead, I spent around $25 making my own cover
P1030299.JPG

Full writeup (with full-scale drawings) is here: A is for Alfredo, Z is for Zonda: Project Doduo: The Making of My Own iPad Case

Last edited:

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes, $40 is not much compared to the price of a new iPad. however, considering the shortfalls of the smartcover, I think it's simply not worth it and decided to take matters into my own hands

Instead, I spent around $25 making my own cover
P1030299.JPG

Full writeup (with full-scale drawings) is here: A is for Alfredo, Z is for Zonda: Project Doduo: The Making of My Own iPad Case

Nice work.
It is all about personal preferences.
While that works for you, it would never for me as I want to avoid bulk and weight.
However, congrats on having such skills to do something like that.
I wouldn't even know wher to begin even if I wanted to.

Most reactions

Latest posts