What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed to change search engine

thecrazystewarts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
We've just bought a new iPad 2 & live in the USA. We moved from the UK a few months ago. We synced our new iPad with a laptop that was originally purchased in the UK. Our new iPad keeps defaulting to google.co.uk & we have to manually tell it to use google.com. How can we change the search engine to default to google.com?

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check your language preferences. Go to Settings, General, scroll down to and select "International", make sure "English" is checked as your preferred language. If not, change it and try Google again. Then back up your iPad in iTunes so it will keep the changes that you made.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - just been experimenting.....

Make sure cookies are enabled in 'Settings', 'Safari', 'Accept cookies'.

Into the Safari Address Bar type 'Google.co.uk'.
When the page comes up click on the link 'Go to Google.com'

That's it...now you'll find the search engine will default to Google.com

The reverse works too...if you're on Google.com and click on 'Go to Google.co.uk' (I guess I get that option because I'm in the UK) then it switches the default search address back to Google.co.uk......

Hope that works for you too.

Tim

OP
T

thecrazystewarts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately it didn't work. I'm still being sent to google UK whenever I start a new search. I always have to manually select the link to google .com. any other ideas ?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Ampress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here except I am in Delhi India. Google always defaults to the uk page. Is there really no fix?

thompson.adam.98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made sure my language settings were correct. (I'm English but live in Italy so had the same problem). Still didn't help. But then i turned off the location services for Safari and it worked!

Sorry if you already figured it out, but might help someone else...

Most reactions