What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help: Mic Check for iPad.

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have searched here but I did not find any other posts. I use and relay upon Mic Check having purchased the full version to get rid of the popup adverts a while ago. It has been a very handy tool allowing me to record very high quality audio off the mic and email or Dropbox it.

I have now updated my iPad Gen4 128GB to iOS7 a few weeks ago as a number of my other high cost Apps simply would not work without it. One reason for a 128GB was to have ample space for audio files in the App.

Now however I find Mic Check for iPad is no longer making a viable .mp4a file that can be played or uploaded to Dropbox. The recorded audio file details appear in the list but they won't play. Bit annoying because some are important projects of mine from a week ago and it's only now when I tried to do something else with them I discover they are compromised... Note: I can still play audio files dated back to 2013 however!

I have tried the usual of reinstalling the App from the Cloud. At the App Creator's web page it's still being advertised as a Product but here's the crazy thing. Clicking on the AppStore Link you're sent to the Store all right but for me it's just a White box of Nothing! That says something, plus at time of writing this a search on the Store it does not appear!

I paid good money for this App. It no longer works and something is going on to block me using it to the point it's of any use. You would think out of professional courtesy there would be an apology or explanation from Apple, not a white square.

Can anyone suggest what is happening please. I have emailed the App Creator but I expect a reply will take a while if indeed I ever receive one.

Here's a link to the App Creator's advertisement:

http://www.appato.com/kellen-styler/mic-check-recorder-for-ipad/

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple does not make the app. Why would they apologize for it breaking with new hardware?

It is up to the developer to update their app for new hardware and iOS versions. Go to the developer's support page (usually found on the App Store page) and see what resources and/or contact options you have.

I can not check the app myself. It is showing that it is not currently available in the U.S. App Store. Either it is not sold here, or it has been removed by the developer, possibly because they no longer support it. You may still be able to find it under the Purchased tab in the App Store app. It is common for discontinued apps to remain available for those who already purchased them; but it does not mean they will be updated or the developer will continue support.

You'll have to ask the developer directly for any solution.

This has been the reality of computers and software since the beginning. Major OS updates and sometimes hardware can break software. If you have software that is critical to your business or personal life you should always confirm with the software vendor that it will work after the upgrade. Because on the surface iOS devices seem more reliable, and in some ways they are, there is a tendency overlook this aspect of upgrading. A person who absolutely has to have a specific app run on their device can not afford to gamble on compatibility. Checking software compatibility needs to be a part of their upgrade procedure.

You can, of course, still complain to Apple. There is not much they can do but offer to refund the purchase of the app. In your case I would not expect them to offer this options, since it's not a mistaken purchase and the app did do what it promised when purchased.

I'm sorry to say I don't have any solution for recovering your problem files. At least not a specific one. In the Hacking section of the forum they talk about iFile and a few other apps that might be able to pull the files directly from the app (if you don't have an export option). If the data is still there it might be recoverable through a computer program.

The only other thought I have is for you to go to Settings > Privacy and make sure that the app has permissions to use the Microphone. Since the app predates iOS 7, it may not be requesting those privileges as it should.

Not trying to pick on you. Just outlining what I've learned through my own experiences. I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way.

Good Luck.

P.S.

Last edited:
OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know Apple didn't make the App..... It's their dumb iOS 7 that's left some of my paid for Apps that ran perfectly under iOS6 useless and I held off for months "upgrading" to the operating system for this very reason. The problem was though, increasingly other Apps were becoming iOS7-only and no support for the iOS6 version....

I've used and owned many computers and bought all sorts of software over the years, Mac and PC. I'm an electronics tech. I well remember the huge warning when Microsoft went to Win 7 and the issue of compatibility. At least they offered a clever shell thing so XP could be run embedded on the side and you could extract any data etc from incompatible programs.

Your comments:

This has been the reality of computers and software since the beginning. Major OS updates and sometimes hardware can break software. If you have software that is critical to your business or personal life you should always confirm with the software vendor that it will work after the upgrade. Because on the surface iOS devices seem more reliable, and in some ways they are, there is a tendency overlook this aspect of upgrading. A person who absolutely has to have a specific app run on their device can not afford to gamble on compatibility. Checking software compatibility needs to be a part of their upgrade procedure.

...brings to mind the fact that when it comes to the Apple iPad that in standard form there is not the accessibility to delve very deeply into its OS inner most workings as with other Tablets and full personal Computers including Macs. It's fairly locked down by Apple. Of course you are welcome to violate their specification, Jail Break it and thus Hack it but I do not have the time, and well it was an expensive bit of Kit and I want it to work properly. So my argument is that with all this constraint Apple should provide a far better handle on just what Apps they have sold through their Store will work or won't once they do something like change the OS. As a long term customer why should I have to pussy around contacting App Designers and waiting weeks for a possible reply that indeed probably won't come.

There's the other issue. App Support. I seldom ever need it and the couple of times I have made contact it's to give the designer some useable material for the next upgrade. Once, a designer replied and thanked me. Recently I contacted him again with other info. Not a single reply this time and his Apps Website lies unmaintained since 2012...

Apps seem to have a really short life to say a proper computer program. The experience and of one Designer disappearing into thin air a year or so after I purchased his App is a bit sad. Ok, I know things move on quickly and that next big App could be a huge earner so I see why support can go out the window but it truly sucks when you find some work you have spent valuable time on is now wrecked as I've just found and probably because of a change in OS. Yes, my fault but maybe the stance to take is be aware the iPad is a bit of Toy with Toy software that could let you down any moment and if you are about to do a real project do it using a proper computer/tablet with proven performance, paid for, proper, tested, supported software (not a Toy App) and all the needed ancillaries.

It worries me the New Zealand Police force has issued Police personnel an iPhone and an IPad... Let's hope their Apps are fully maintained, compatible and supported!

Most reactions

Latest posts