What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide Verzion vs att

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a new iPad (wifi only) and I'm considering returning it to get one with cellular. How did you decide what carrier to go with and why, and what made you choose with or without cellular?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's all about coverage... Choose the carrier that provides the best signal where you live and in places you normally go..

The 3G/4G iPad allows you to access the net whenever you want without having to tether to another device or without having to sniff around for a wifi hot spot. The cellular equipped iPads also come with a true GPS receiver allowing you to pick up signals from the GPS satellites. The wifi only iPad doesn't have a GPS receiver. You can add an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to a wifi only iPad, but its far more convenient just to have the receiver built in to the iPad in the first place....

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Numerous independent speed studies show that AT&T consistently has faster data throughput than Verizon. Not true for telephone service though, but no one cares about that on an iPad. All that said, it really comes down to where you want to use the iPad. For my money, and it is my money, I travel a lot and have had consistently good service with AT&T. Not many cities offer 4G/LTE for any service but new ones are being added every day.

Your choice of service for the iPad is unrelated to who you use for telephone service, totally separate contract.

JerryofWV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did the same thing. I took my wifi only back and traded it.

I opted for Verizon. My iPhone is AT&T and sometimes I am in places that only have one service available. This way I can use which
ever one that works. Plus Verizon does not charge extra to tether.

OP
M

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to deciding what carrier, I feel like this is going to be my only option to get cellular, although if I do get cellular I would probably only use it while on vacation. Thats why it's a hard choice to fork out the additional money or not.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did simply because I had an iPod touch that my wireless went out of, oops...now it is just a gloried MP3 player. At least with cellular, I'd have a backup way of getting info on it/using it.
Plus the GPS chip doesn't make it cost that much more than the wifi version of the same gig. It was worth it in my eyes, never a question of "if" but who? My 2, I got Verizon but you can only use it with Verizon & the GSM they use since it is different technology than the rest of the world, which uses the same as AT&T. So my 3 is an AT&T model.

Most reactions

Latest posts