What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help jailbreaking 3.2.2 ipad

MountainMax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have seen how to do older versions then this, and some say versions 4.x.x can be done but what do I need to break my 3.2.2 and itunes 9.x ? IM very new to this breaking stuff, also can someone tell me what the diff is between tethered and untethered, and do I have to use cidia? sorry for the newbie questions, I have done research here but not finding what im looking for, thanks in advance...........

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright. 3.2.2. Old. But anyway, download redsnow (Windows https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc8.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 and Mac https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc8.zip?attredirects=0&d=1) and follow the instructions in redsnow. You will need your firmware. On windows it is located in Vista C:\Users\Your User Name Here\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
And xp C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name Here\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates\ and on a Mac yourusername/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates
Redsnow will ask for the firmware. Browse and find it. Then follow redsnow. Cydia will appear on your home screen. You need Cydia to install hacks and tweaks. As for tethered and untethered, tethered means that you will have to use redsnow every time you want to reboot or you run out of battery. But the jailbreak for 3.2.2 is untethered meaning you don't need your computer to reboot. The jailbreak for 4.2.1 is currently tethered but the untethered will be coming out soon. If you have anymore questions let me know! Have fun!

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can jailbreak 3.2.2 a little easier than described above using either greenpois0n or limera1n... It will be untetered.

OP
M

MountainMax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys, but i screwed it up and now it has 4.2.1 I I also have a backed up image from 3.2.2 and put it in that folder in vista but it dont' show up in itunes as an option to backup. Sorry but im a real newb at this. how can i put someone elses image on my ipad? will the redsnow program do that?

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Image? Do you mean you backed up your iPad with iTunes? That has nothing to do with firmware. You need to downgrade if you don't want to deal with a tethered jailbreak. But you can't downgrade without something called shsh blobs. But apple stopped allowing shsh blobs for 3.2.2 so if you didn't save them with tiny umbrella (another hacking program) then tuff luck. You either wait until the untethered or deal with tethered. I don't know what you mean about the image though.

Donnie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help please

I do have 3.2.2. Do i need to upgrade to 4.0.2 and then jailbreak it and how? Thanx for your help

zrb0529

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey, if you can find a 3.2.2 ipsw file on the interwebs you can control-click the "restore" button in iTunes and it will ask you to navigate to a custom firmware file (that ipsw) and you can restore that way

...or can you now 'downgrade' ? honestly I can't remember, but I think you can do that

but, if you can't downgrade, then just get redsn0w beta 3 or 4 and you can jailbreak tethered, it isn't that big a deal and takes like 2 minutes + how often do you reboot anyway?

if you can downgrade then you can get greenpoison and jb untethered anyway

cheers and post back with progress/questions/concerns

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do the shift restore then when iTunes verifies the restore with apple, apple won't approve it. Or at least in theory.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey, if you can find a 3.2.2 ipsw file on the interwebs you can control-click the "restore" button in iTunes and it will ask you to navigate to a custom firmware file (that ipsw) and you can restore that way

That is what I have, but i can't find a way to browse for it, anyone?????

On windows hold down the shift key then click restore and iTunes will let you browse for it. A Mac is like the command key or something.

Most reactions

Latest posts