What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! iPad4 doesnt' see new SD card!

kdog2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the new (official) Lightning SD reader. I bought a new 8GB card (mSD with adapter) to use to transfer photos, etc back and forth from my camera etc. It worked fine. That card ended up in my stepsons' camera. So I just went and got myself a new 32 GB card (also mSD with adapter). It doesn't see it at all. Tried it out on the PCs' and its fine so its not the card. What happened?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I would try reformatting the card in the camera. I assume you have a micro sd card with adapter.....yes? Finally just reset the tablet ie hold on off key plus home key down until white logo appears and try again...

OP
K

kdog2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With or without the card and reader still attached to the iPad?

OP
K

kdog2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No dice. Hmmm... I even tried putting a couple of photos' on it from a PC seeing if it would "jog" anything. Nope. I'll have to find that camera and format as you suggested.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make sure it's formatted correctly, may need to be FAT, not extended FAT. I think there may be an 8 character limit on the names, but am not sure. Best bet is to put it in a camera and format it. This will create the DCIM (or equivalent) directory with the proper sub-directory. Put the media into the sub-directory and it SHOULD work.

I do not have a camera connection kit to test this...

OP
K

kdog2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok heres what I got so far... I formatted it with the camera, took a pic and it worked. However I can't save anything TO the card. How can I use it for general storage?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok heres what I got so far... I formatted it with the camera, took a pic and it worked. However I can't save anything TO the card. How can I use it for general storage?

I can't play anymore, beyond my knowledge and I don't have a camera kit to play with, but I know someone here will have an answer.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You cannot use an SD card via the CCK to do anything but transfer photos and video from your cameras to the iPad. Additional uses are only enabled via jailbreak.

OP
K

kdog2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well THAT sucks. Hopefully iOS 7 will fix that.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well THAT sucks. Hopefully iOS 7 will fix that.

Optimistic, but I don't see it happening. After all, Apple market them as Camera Adaptors, nothing more.

Attachments

• image-977068945.jpg
    image-977068945.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Most reactions