What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! iPad won't charge or turn on

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Edit: Sorry put this in the wrong board, just now noticed meant to put it in the iPad Tech board.

I have the worst luck with tablets it seems. My iPad (latest model) was working perfectly no issues at all well I was watching videos on it last night and feel asleep (it was charging and plugged in). I wake up a bit ago and it was not on, at first I thought maybe I set it to "go to sleep" (although normally I keep that setting on "Never" (occasionally I change it to let it sleep). Well I tried turning it on, nothing. I try charging it for a a few minutes and test it (to see if it would turn on) -- nope. I followed a few tips I found while googling nothing, computer or iTunes neither one recognize the iPad. I try using another charger and adapter (one from my father's iPad smartphone). Nope still nothing it seems totally dead. Right now I have it plugged in "charging" (although it's probably just sitting there not charging) I'll check it in a few hours I guess.

Any tips on what I can try?
I've tried steps from these sites, (even tried using the "dr.fone" repair and recovery options).
- What to Do When Your iPad Won't Turn On
- What to Do When Your iPhone or iPad Won’t Turn On
- 5 Solutions to Fix My iPad Won't Turn On - dr.fone

Afraid I'm going to have to replace it (had it a little over a year, ordered it around the end of April last year). <-- not sure if that matters any.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there’s an authorized Apple service centre nearby, you could try taking it there for a full diagnostic. This would determinehow serious the problem, whatever it may be, is.

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Closest one I know of is several hours drive away (which is hard for me to get to since I don't have a car at the moment, a family member is using mine until his gets fixed. (I'll have to ask around if there's one closer).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have the worst luck with tablets it seems. My iPad (latest model) was working perfectly no issues at all well I was watching videos on it last night and feel asleep (it was charging and plugged in). I wake up a bit ago and it was not on, at first I thought maybe I set it to "go to sleep" (although normally I keep that setting on "Never" (occasionally I change it to let it sleep). Well I tried turning it on, nothing. I try charging it for a a few minutes and test it (to see if it would turn on) -- nope. I followed a few tips I found while googling nothing, computer or iTunes neither one recognize the iPad. I try using another charger and adapter (one from my father's iPad smartphone). Nope still nothing it seems totally dead. Right now I have it plugged in "charging" (although it's probably just sitting there not charging) I'll check it in a few hours I guess......................

Note: can't take it to get repaired, closest Apple repair place is about 3 hours away, I have no way to get there.

Afraid I'm going to have to replace it (had it a little over a year, ordered it around the end of April last year). <-- not sure if that matters any.

Just for clarification: 1) Your iPad model is the 'iPad', Apple's most recent non-Pro release - correct; 2) You are just out of the 1-year warranty - did you purchase AppleCare; 3) You mention iTunes - assume you have been backing up to a Mac or a PC - correct; 4) Have you tried the DFU mode on the computer w/ the iPad attached - see the link; and 5) Have you tried another cable and another AC socket (and make sure the wall switch has not 'turned off' your AC power) - if nothing mentioned here helps and from the other comments, a visit to an Apple store, a more local reputable Apple shop, or a shipment to Apple would be in order. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Done research and asked a family member if there was any place close by that works on iPads/Apple products closest place is about 3 - 4 hours drive away. :(

1)Yes I believe it is.

2) Unfortunately no I didn't (I considered it when I bought the iPad but decided against it), regretting that decision now.

3) Haven't been backing up lately (last time was about 3 or 4 months ago I believe). <-- bad me I know *kicks self*, lately mostly just used it for playing games or watching videos so not really a big loss I guess. Worst thing I've lost is pictures but nothing important (just screenshots off websites easily replaced).

4) No haven't tried DFU (honestly have no idea what it was), checking out the link you gave now).

5) Yes, tried the one it came with as well as a more powerful one (hope that didn't screw anything up), it was the only other one in my house that would fit the iPad -- it's one my father used on his iPhone he used to own. Also tried muliple places to charge it, different sockets on a serge protector in my bedroom, one here on my desk (I know serge protectors are not the best to charge them or so I heard), also tried several wall outlets no luck :(.

EDIT: Tried the DFU still nothing :(.

Last edited:

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Done research and asked a family member if there was any place close by that works on iPads/Apple products closest place is about 3 - 4 hours drive away. :(

1)Yes I believe it is.

2) Unfortunately no I didn't (I considered it when I bought the iPad but decided against it), regretting that decision now.

3) Haven't been backing up lately (last time was about 3 or 4 months ago I believe). <-- bad me I know *kicks self*, lately mostly just used it for playing games or watching videos so not really a big loss I guess. Worst thing I've lost is pictures but nothing important (just screenshots off websites easily replaced).

4) No haven't tried DFU (honestly have no idea what it was), checking out the link you gave now).

5) Yes, tried the one it came with as well as a more powerful one (hope that didn't screw anything up), it was the only other one in my house that would fit the iPad -- it's one my father used on his iPhone he used to own. Also tried muliple places to charge it, different sockets on a serge protector in my bedroom, one here on my desk (I know serge protectors are not the best to charge them or so I heard), also tried several wall outlets no luck :(.

You could try phoning the Apple Customer Helpline. They are very helpful. Their number should be on the packaging. It will be different to the one I call (I am in the UK).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

1)Yes I believe it is.

Well, thanks for the information and sorry that nothing seemed to work for you - concerning the DFU, timing and button release are important as in the quote below from the link I left previously - make sure that you follow the directions exactly.

If still an issue, then your iPad is just out of its 1-year warranty - and Apple might surprise you, just saying. I have a 2013 MBPro w/ Apple Care (now expired) - was just out of that warranty when I had cable fraying and a dying battery (which I had complained about a year before - not replaced but 'on record') - Apple fixed both problems at no cost to me (maybe shipping?) - SO, give Apple a call and either ship in your iPad or drive to the nearest store - nothing to really lose except some time. Good luck - Dave :)

Connect the device to a computer using a USB cable.
Hold down both the Home button and Lock button.
  1. After 8 seconds, release the Lock button while continuing to hold down the Home button.
    • If the Apple logo appears, the Lock button was held down for too long.
  2. Nothing will be displayed on the screen when the device is in DFU mode. If open, iTunes will alert you that a device was detected in recovery mode.
    • If your device shows a screen telling you to connect the device to iTunes, retry these steps

Last edited:
OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You could try phoning the Apple Customer Helpline. They are very helpful. Their number should be on the packaging. It will be different to the one I call (I am in the UK).

Didn't even think of that lol. Been up all night messing with my iPad trying things to get it to just turn on didn't even think about calling the Customer Helpline I may just give that a try. :)

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the information and sorry that nothing seemed to work for you - concerning the DFU, timing and button release are important as in the quote below from the link I left previously - make sure that you follow the directions exactly.

If still an issue, then your iPad is just out of its 1-year warranty - and Apple might surprise you, just saying. I have a 2013 MBPro w/ Apple Care (now expired) - was just out of that warranty when I had cable fraying and a dying battery (which I had complained about a year before - not replaced but 'on record') - Apple fixed both problems at no cost to me (maybe shipping?) - SO, give Apple a call and either ship in your iPad or drive to the nearest store - nothing to really lose except some time. Good luck - Dave :)

I believe I followed the timing, I'll try it again just in case I may have screwed something up. O? Figured since it was out of warranty they would charge me for repairs or getting a replacement I may just have to give them a call and see what happens. I'll try calling them and maybe I can get a ride from a friend or family member one weekend soon maybe (I know their all busy during the week, work and all lol).

Thanks for the help Dave :).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Edit: Sorry put this in the wrong board, just now noticed meant to put it in the iPad Tech board.

I have the worst luck with tablets it seems. My iPad (latest model) was working perfectly no issues at all well I was watching videos on it last night and feel asleep (it was charging and plugged in). I wake up a bit ago and it was not on, at first I thought maybe I set it to "go to sleep" (although normally I keep that setting on "Never" (occasionally I change it to let it sleep). Well I tried turning it on, nothing. I try charging it for a a few minutes and test it (to see if it would turn on) -- nope. I followed a few tips I found while googling nothing, computer or iTunes neither one recognize the iPad. I try using another charger and adapter (one from my father's iPad smartphone). Nope still nothing it seems totally dead. Right now I have it plugged in "charging" (although it's probably just sitting there not charging) I'll check it in a few hours I guess.

Any tips on what I can try?
I've tried steps from these sites, (even tried using the "dr.fone" repair and recovery options).
- What to Do When Your iPad Won't Turn On
- What to Do When Your iPhone or iPad Won’t Turn On
- 5 Solutions to Fix My iPad Won't Turn On - dr.fone

Note: can't take it to get repaired, closest Apple repair place is about 3 hours away, I have no way to get there.

This thread is of wide enough interest that it will be useful to owners of other iPad models so leaving it in the iPad General Discussions Forum. Is ok.

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Question: Trying one last time using both the original charger/adapter and the other one (the more powerful one of my fathers) even switching them around (meaning using the adapter that came with the iPad and the cord from my father's or vise versa) , letting it charge a few hours then going to try the DFU one last time, if still nothing tomorrow I plan on calling the helpline. Noticed on one side of the ipad (the side where the power and volume buttons are) is a bit warm, the rest of it is not? Is this normal while it's charging? (I never really noticed it before) but then again I normally just plug it in and let it charge never feel if it's warm or not. Rest of the iPad is cool to the touch it's just that one side that feels warm. Just wondering if that could be a sign something, thought I would ask :).

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be a sign of an electrical problem. You may want to stop trying to charge or use the iPad until a full diagnostic is done.

Most reactions

Latest posts