1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Help: ipad photo size

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by eveready, Jan 19, 2013.

1. eveready

eveready iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My ipad is nearly full. The biggest culprit is my camera roll, with nearly 4Gb. I have only around 30 pictures. This seems like a massive amount of data usage. Can I change the resolution of the camera or do something else to relieve the storage pressure?
  2. Roy Rob

Roy Rob iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140 / 0
    Welcome to the forum, something is definitely wrong. I have an iPad 2 with 540 photographs total using only 302 Mb. As far as I know the camera resolution cannot be changed. You don't say which iPad you have. The resolution of the forward facing camera is 960x720 on a 2 but 2592x1936 on an iPad 3. We need more information please. ;)
  3. eveready

eveready iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi thank you for your reply. I actually have around 100 pics not 30, but I still think the memory's too high. It's an iPad 3.
  4. Elizellen

Elizellen iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Is it possible to reset the camera resolution to take smaller photos?
  5. eveready

eveready iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it is I can't find out how...
  6. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +818 / 0
    Hi Eveready - welcome to the forum! :)

Your iPad 3 has a 5 MP camera and is saving the images as JPEGs - below is a table (from a web search) showing the file size for such a camera - note that a 100% quality compressed JPEG is just 1.5 MB, thus if the 100 pics that you noted above were all acquired by the iPad's camera, then that would suggest their total size should be 150 MB only.

Now you need to tell us if you are 'importing' images into the iPad from your digital camera(s); if so, then what is the MP size of the camera(s) and are you importing RAW images? As you can imagine, this practice would greatly enlarge your photo storage.

Finally, you might want to look at the metadata of some individual images on the iPad regarding their size - I use Photogene for this purpose, but other photo apps likely offer this feature. Please post back regarding these questions - good luck!

7. eveready

eveready iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello thanks for your message. All the pics are taken with my ipad, except one or two which have been downloaded from Facebook. Each pic is between 600kb to 1.8Mb. Why do they vary so much in size?
  8. eveready

eveready iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it possible that the data regarding storage use in my settings is erroneous?
  9. eveready

eveready iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also have a few short videos which total around 20 minutes. Is this the problem? I can't work out how to check the size of the video files. Sorry for being so thick...
  10. Roy Rob

Roy Rob iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140 / 0
    Possible, not very likely, but possible. Why not connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer and see what the usage reported there is.
  11. Roy Rob

Roy Rob iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140 / 0
    Now you are talking...videos are memory hogs and 20 minutes will be a lot of memory. ;)
  12. eveready

eveready iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah ok. I'll try getting rid of them and see if that helps. Thank you all
  13. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +818 / 0
    JPEG is a lossy compression codec that can be set for different levels of quality (the lower the more information lost) - the lossy algorithms will eliminate information differently from each image taken based on its complexity, so depending on the latter & the quality level chosen, the final image size will be reduced and will vary between pics; e.g. just take a photo w/ the iPad of a solid colored piece of paper and look at its size.

The iPad3 is capable of 1080p HD recording, thus like a HD DVD - although this will vary, a 2 hr HD movie is about 4 GB in size, so I suspect that your 20 mins or so in that video mode would be under 1 GB.

Probably not as already stated, but worth doing a reset and then rechecking - directions below:

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

Good luck & please post back your results - Dave :)
    • Like Like x 2
  14. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,026 / 1
    An additional note about JPG sizes.

Besides the quality setting, JPGs size will vary depending on the content of the picture. The algorithm is smart. A picture that contains few elements, or mostly elements that look alike (color, luminance, etc) will be smaller than a busy picture containing many visually distance elements. For instance, a picture of a blue sky with a few clouds will be smaller than a picture of the crowd at a sporting event.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Hi T poet!

Can you please explain how I can discover the file sizes of the photos in the Camera Roll?
    I use iPad 2.
    I can see the file size of photos in Dropbox, but still I want to see the sizes in Camera Roll.
    Thanks in advance.
  16. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +818 / 0
    Hi Peter - well I'm not TP (who will likely chime in soon), but not sure that the native Photo App of the iPad can show you the file size on your images located w/i that app. Now, there are other apps that can provide that information, e.g. the pic attached is a screen capture from one of my pics opened in Photogene - selecting metadata provides a lot of information, including the size, in this case just over 95 KB - hope this may help - :)

Photogene.jpg
  17. PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Hi giradman.

Thanks for the reply.
    You have almost confirmed that I cannot discover the file size without installing another app!
    I am tossing up about whether to install Photogene.
    Only because it seems a bit of over kill.
    I will wait a day or so and depending on other people's answer, will probably give it a go.
    I read all the reviews and must admit many people say it's the best!
    Thanks again.
  18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,026 / 1
    Like Giradman, I don't know of any way to tell the size of a photo with the Photos app. I use the iPhotos app. Just open the app and browse the file you want. The info tab at the top right (when the file is being viewed) will give you file size, type, and a few other stats.

The advantage of using iPhotos for this, rather than most third party apps, is that you do not have to copy the file to the app. Being an Apple app, they cheated a bit and gave iPhotos a bit more integrations and access to the Photos library than most other apps can manage.
  19. PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Hi T Poet and G Man
    Thanks for your replies.
    I checked IPhotos and the reviews were not good, considering the price!
    I installed Photgene and it seems pretty good and had hardly any negative press, and no problems so far, except cannot delete photos!
    It is bitterly disappointing that Apple does not allow 3rd. party apps to delete photos. Just plain stupid!
    This has completely spoiled Photogene for me.
    What is the big deal for Apple about deleting photos?
  20. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,026 / 1
    iPhoto can not delete photos either. It's part of the sandboxing, I suppose.