Help: ipad photo size

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by eveready, Jan 19, 2013.

1. eveready

eveready
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My ipad is nearly full. The biggest culprit is my camera roll, with nearly 4Gb. I have only around 30 pictures. This seems like a massive amount of data usage. Can I change the resolution of the camera or do something else to relieve the storage pressure?

2. Roy Rob

Roy Rob
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forum, something is definitely wrong. I have an iPad 2 with 540 photographs total using only 302 Mb. As far as I know the camera resolution cannot be changed. You don't say which iPad you have. The resolution of the forward facing camera is 960x720 on a 2 but 2592x1936 on an iPad 3. We need more information please. ;)

3. eveready

eveready
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi thank you for your reply. I actually have around 100 pics not 30, but I still think the memory's too high. It's an iPad 3.

4. Elizellen

Elizellen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to reset the camera resolution to take smaller photos?

5. eveready

eveready
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    If it is I can't find out how...

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Eveready - welcome to the forum! :)

Your iPad 3 has a 5 MP camera and is saving the images as JPEGs - below is a table (from a web search) showing the file size for such a camera - note that a 100% quality compressed JPEG is just 1.5 MB, thus if the 100 pics that you noted above were all acquired by the iPad's camera, then that would suggest their total size should be 150 MB only.

Now you need to tell us if you are 'importing' images into the iPad from your digital camera(s); if so, then what is the MP size of the camera(s) and are you importing RAW images? As you can imagine, this practice would greatly enlarge your photo storage.

Finally, you might want to look at the metadata of some individual images on the iPad regarding their size - I use Photogene for this purpose, but other photo apps likely offer this feature. Please post back regarding these questions - good luck!

7. eveready

eveready
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello thanks for your message. All the pics are taken with my ipad, except one or two which have been downloaded from Facebook. Each pic is between 600kb to 1.8Mb. Why do they vary so much in size?

8. eveready

eveready
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible that the data regarding storage use in my settings is erroneous?

9. eveready

eveready
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I also have a few short videos which total around 20 minutes. Is this the problem? I can't work out how to check the size of the video files. Sorry for being so thick...

10. Roy Rob

Roy Rob
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Possible, not very likely, but possible. Why not connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer and see what the usage reported there is.