What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! - Ipad Mini Stuck in recovery. Have searched threads

playtes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, Weird issue with my ipad mini and not sure what to try next. When I plug my ipad into a wall charger it shows in recovery mode. The minute I unplug it, the screen goes blank. When I plug into computer it will not turn on, wont go into recovery and itunes does not recognize attached. When plugged into wall charger I can hold power/menu and put back into recovery but stays there.
Is this a battery issue?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

There could also be another hardware problem, or software causing this problem.

What you should try, is restore your iPad via recovery mode. This method is also recommended when iTunes doesn't recognize your iPad.
Here are the instructions:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If that doesn't work, use DFU mode to get it working again: DFU Mode for Dummies

Hope that helps.

hugosnel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would change charger for a proven strong one in the first place....

OP
P

playtes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I was able to get into DFU mode and for Itunes to recognize. In trying to restore I get an error that it was unable. Searched the threads and read about how to manual install firmware with the shift + restore. Have tried many versions of that and I keep getting error 3194. Have altered hosts files as discussion says and still nothing. Not sure what to try next. It is a ipad Mini A1432

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 3194 means you tried installing a wrong software. You need iOS 9.3.5 for iPad 2,5.

OP
P

playtes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I just tried installing that software (iPad2,5_9.3.5_13G36_Restore) and still received error 3194. Any other suggestions?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I just tried installing that software (iPad2,5_9.3.5_13G36_Restore) and still received error 3194. Any other suggestions?
There are two versions of the iPad 2; the original and revision a. If you saw more than one link for the iOS 9.3.5 download for the iPad 2, try the other one.

OP
P

playtes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have determined that yes, I do need to install the iOS 9.3.5 as per above. Thank you. I am still getting error 3194. When I remove the host file as one discussion recommends the error changes. I used the trial version of both fonepaw and imyfone where it says it can restore the 9.3.5 if I pay for the full program. I would do this if I knew it would work, but not convinced. Will keep reading and trying different things. Thanks for all the help/comments

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to visit? If so, the Genius Bar should be able to help you install the iOS 9.3.5 update, unless there's a hardware problem preventing it.

OP
P

playtes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be down that way in a couple weeks which is what i will do. If the warranty is up on the ipad will they still look at it?

OP
P

playtes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The addiction is the battle try and correct the problem. Thinking after all the time I have spent that it must be something hardware related. Weird as I can access device in DFU but have tried different cables, multiple computers, etc all with same results.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be down that way in a couple weeks which is what i will do. If the warranty is up on the ipad will they still look at it?
Genius Bar appointments are free and if the problem is software related the solution is normally free as well. If a diagnostic reveals a hardware problem, they'll quote the out of warranty repair charge.

Last edited:

Tyler_Barlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, Weird issue with my ipad mini and not sure what to try next. When I plug my ipad into a wall charger it shows in recovery mode. The minute I unplug it, the screen goes blank. When I plug into computer it will not turn on, wont go into recovery and itunes does not recognize attached. When plugged into wall charger I can hold power/menu and put back into recovery but stays there.
Is this a battery issue?

Well, it seems like you got hardware failure. You probably have to bring it on repair center and it would be free as long it still covers the guarantee

Abbyacb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Though the third-party iOS software like FORecovery, Dr.fone can help you out, as for a hardware problem, the most effective way is to take a check in the Apple or other professional stores. BTW, have you tried to upgrade your iPad on another laptop, maybe things will be better in this way. Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts