What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! iPad 3 won't start. Stuck at apple logo.

eKindom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was stupid enough to install a Siri tweak from cydia onto my new iPad 3 Wi-Fi jailbroken with 5.1.1.
Now it won't start, and if I try to restore it iTunes gives me error code 1600 which apparently doesn't seem to be in Apple's error code database.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, from what I've read when other people tried to install Siri tweaks onto their iPads - you'll have to restore your iPad to stock iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jail break it.

Then, my suggestion is to try to resist the temptation to put Siri on your iPad. From all I've seen ... it just isn't working well for those on iOS 5.1.1.

Marilyn

IAmThereforeiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, from what I've read when other people tried to install Siri tweaks onto their iPads - you'll have to restore your iPad to stock iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jail break it.

Then, my suggestion is to try to resist the temptation to put Siri on your iPad. From all I've seen ... it just isn't working well for those on iOS 5.1.1.

Marilyn

I found this to be true the hard way as well!

reigouki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't done any jailbreaking or installation of Siri, but my iPad3 has been doing strange things since 5.1.1 such as coming out of sleep, lighting up the lock screen then displaying the shutdown screen a few seconds later. Without input, it goes blank again a while later. I think, if I did not have a smart cover, it'd keep doing that, cutting into it's battery for no good reason.

And on topic, I just recently shut it down and the bugger won't turn on. It displays the Apple logo for a few seconds, the screen flashes - as in the brightness looks like it maxed out, not turned white - then goes out. A little later, the Apple logo comes on and the whole thing repeats. This happened a few times before I realised it was in a loop. A quick google and saw a short line about someone's iPad only starting up if plugged into the charger. So plugged it in and it started fine. That said, there were a couple of other quirks, like the sleep/wake button was doing strange things as well, like nothing what it's supposed to. Like it was stuck down or something.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
reigouki said:
I haven't done any jailbreaking or installation of Siri, but my iPad3 has been doing strange things since 5.1.1 such as coming out of sleep, lighting up the lock screen then displaying the shutdown screen a few seconds later. Without input, it goes blank again a while later. I think, if I did not have a smart cover, it'd keep doing that, cutting into it's battery for no good reason.

And on topic, I just recently shut it down and the bugger won't turn on. It displays the Apple logo for a few seconds, the screen flashes - as in the brightness looks like it maxed out, not turned white - then goes out. A little later, the Apple logo comes on and the whole thing repeats. This happened a few times before I realised it was in a loop. A quick google and saw a short line about someone's iPad only starting up if plugged into the charger. So plugged it in and it started fine. That said, there were a couple of other quirks, like the sleep/wake button was doing strange things as well, like nothing what it's supposed to. Like it was stuck down or something.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Try a reset and see if this rectifies what's happening now. A reset will not change anything on your iPad and is just like rebooting a PC.
Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Its always a good idea to do a reset after any update, it just helps everything settle into the right place. Do this step and let us know how you go.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

reigouki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. I had noticed that it seemed to be working after an earlier restart but it didn't continue to work. The power off slide screen didn't appear before it winked out, though. Not sure if that's helpful. I also didn't have to press anything after I let go of the 2 buttons before it tried to start up, displaying the Apple logo, then shortly thereafter got into the loop I mentioned. I pressed Home and Sleep/wake keys in various combinations for various periods of time at different times after the Apple logo appeared on the screen before the iPad stayed off. At this point, pressing the Sleep/wake key caused the iPad to start normally without having to plug it into the charger. It should also be noted that the sleep mode appears to now be stable, without the power off slider screen popping up as it was doing before. I would has it a guess that the bug would be back if I pressed the sleep/wake key even once... but probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

... Ok, one side note which may be relevant... I am looking at "Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage Data" and besides some app crashes, many low memory events and a few "ResetCounter" entries which appear to be when I successfully turned it off completely, there a couple of entries titled "Siri"... From what I remember reading about people who tried to get Siri onto their iPads (which they had to jailbreak to accomplish), it caused similar issues...

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
reigouki said:
Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. I had noticed that it seemed to be working after an earlier restart but it didn't continue to work. The power off slide screen didn't appear before it winked out, though. Not sure if that's helpful. I also didn't have to press anything after I let go of the 2 buttons before it tried to start up, displaying the Apple logo, then shortly thereafter got into the loop I mentioned. I pressed Home and Sleep/wake keys in various combinations for various periods of time at different times after the Apple logo appeared on the screen before the iPad stayed off. At this point, pressing the Sleep/wake key caused the iPad to start normally without having to plug it into the charger. It should also be noted that the sleep mode appears to now be stable, without the power off slider screen popping up as it was doing before. I would has it a guess that the bug would be back if I pressed the sleep/wake key even once... but probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

... Ok, one side note which may be relevant... I am looking at "Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage Data" and besides some app crashes, many low memory events and a few "ResetCounter" entries which appear to be when I successfully turned it off completely, there a couple of entries titled "Siri"... From what I remember reading about people who tried to get Siri onto their iPads (which they had to jailbreak to accomplish), it caused similar issues...

When doing a reset I have heard others say that the power off slide didn't appear and this is normal, it's just always appeared for me though. Did you keep your fingers on those buttons until the apple logo appeared? Yes it will just restart on its own once the Apple logo appears.

Low memory events are from a lack of ram, do you close all your apps completely at all? Apps left open all retain some ram so it's a good idea to close them regularly, particularly high ram apps like large graphic games, also certain websites in safari can use lots of ram. To close apps completely from the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. Doing this will lessen the chance of apps crashing and your iPad will run more smoothly.

If you surf the net frequently it's also a good idea to clear your History and Cookies, go to Settings - Safari. If you hit the Advanced tab at the bottom then Website Data then Show all Sites you will see every site you have ever been to and it can add up to quite a lot. It is also a good idea to restart your iPad occasionally also. All these small tasks are just a little housekeeping for your iPad and it will run more smoothly.

Interesting that you have entries titled Siri. If you continue to have these troubles I'm thinking the best solution is to take it back to apple for a replacement. They will just swap your iPad for a new one. You can do this anytime during your warranty period which is a year, so no need to worry too soon. If you do decide to do this make sure you do a complete backup of your iPad so that you do not lose any info and this can then be synced to a new iPad. Keep us posted on how you go though.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

kaamzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 3 not working

I facing a hard time with my newly bought IPAD 3 the problem is that the apple logo is blinking and again its gone.Inspite of trying to reset it in all the possible way i can.
ps-i tried connecting it to the charging point aswell

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kaamzy said:
I facing a hard time with my newly bought IPAD 3 the problem is that the apple logo is blinking and again its gone.Inspite of trying to reset it in all the possible way i can.
ps-i tried connecting it to the charging point aswell

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

A reset is done by holding the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will usually see the power off slide appear and disappear, although some don't see it at all, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. Your iPad should then start up on its own although it may take up to a full minute for this to occur.

Is your iPad charged? And you haven't Jailbroken your iPad? If not I would say a trip to the Apple store is the best remedy here. Let us know how you get on.

Most reactions

Latest posts