What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help in restoring, please!

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On another thread (iOS8 - Opinion... likes, etc) I mentioned general problems with my 3rd
Generation iPad since upgrading to iOS8 and the solution suggested was a restore.

I did a full restore from my iMac back-up when iOS7 came out and that work just fine so I know the general process works - or should I say once worked!

Aerofly suggested:

I would advise you to do as I did in the previous post. First connect to iTunes, and elect to go for a "Restore", which should reload and verify iOS 8.
You will then have to go through the initial "startup" on the iPad, involving signing in to your iCloud account etc.
When you've done this you will be given the option of using the backup from iTunes or from a recent iCloud backup. Since you say you recently backed up to iCloud, I would suggest choosing this option.
Once you've started the iCloud backup restore, I would disconnect your iPad from the PC, and connect to a charger, as the iCloud backup will take a LONG time to restore all of your apps etc. I also turned the screen timeout off so I could keep an eye on the proceedings.

However, I cannot restore and am now in limbo!

I am connected to the iMac via a USB cable and the port is pumping out enough power to keep my iPad battery at 100%.

I connected to iTunes and did the Restore, as suggested, and that worked just fine but when I went to restore from iCloud iTunes tells me that the iPad has never been backed up to the Cloud. Well, it has and the iPad itself agrees as it shows a date and time of the last back-up that I did.

So, as that option appears to be denied me (I'm hoping that you know better!) I elected to back-up from the one on my iMac.

That indeed is available and correctly "date and timed" but, when it gets as far as restoring the Apps it hangs at the point "Copying 3 of 142: Word".

I have attempted this reset/restore several times now, and even left the process alone at that point for 24 hours but it never seems to go past there. I am assuming that it doesn't take 24 hours to download one app.

If I go into iTunes > iPad > Apps and try to select Word and mark it as Uninstalled, I get the spinning beach-ball and the whole process hangs.

So, what can I do?

1) Why does iTunes believe that I have never backed up to iCloud? I have.

2) How can I get past the hanging app download? Or ...

3) How can I remove that apparently troublesome app from the download and re-acquire it when the rest has been restored?

4) Is there any other way that I can get back to a properly functioning iPad?

I can post screenshots later if those would help resolve this annoyingh situation.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To restore from an iCloud backup, you need to unplug your device, erase all content and settings (Settings - General - Reset). Then you get the option to restore from an iCloud backup.
I don't think iTunes is able to restore from iCloud.

A question: is your iPad stuck in restoring, or are you able to work with it?

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very many thanks, I am doing "Settings - General - Reset" even as we speak!

Yes, I could work with it, or at least I could navigate around and get to Settings, etc.

Of course because the Apps were "hanging" there weren't many to use "in anger".

I'll set this process off again but won't be able to return to see how things are going until tonight - I shall report the result in due course.

Thanks for the advice.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm! It correctly sees my iCloud backups (they have the correct names and dates so clearly are mine) hen asks me, if I want to restore purchased items, I need to sign in to ...

... an account which I do not recognise - nicki****@outlook.com (or something like that)!

Alas I now have to go out as I'm already somewhat late and thus in serious trouble (twin grandson's birthday party so I shall not be popular!) and will check back this evening.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, when you erased your content and settings, you have to sign in with your iCloud account when you set it up again, accept terms and conditions, and then you're able to use a backup to restore from. You shouldn't have to sign in once more.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have iTunes Store content in your backup that was purchased with a second account you will be asked for that password as well, shortly after starting the restore.

I'm guessing this will also happen if your iCloud and Apple ID are not the same.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah, twerppoet, you may have a point there. I had forgotten that I downloaded an app from the USA store as it wasn't available in the UK. I'll revisit the email address to see if that's the one I used back then.

JA - I have returned to find most apps restored from iCloud. There was a message stating that not all apps could be restored (I have no idea which save the one mentioned in response to twerppoet above) but that I could restore them from iTunes. Well, I couldn't, but I am now assuming that the "missing" one is that from the USA store.

All now appears back as it should and time will tell whether my original problems encountered since updating to iOS8 (constant freezing, stuttering and auto-resets) have disappeared.

I shall report results when it has had time to prove itself.

Thanks for the help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I hope this will improve the iPad's "behaviour".

Resetting (Home & Power button) your device after restoring might be a good idea.

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a complete techno idiot. That being said since i made the mistake by installing 8 I am having problems like not being able to scroll up or down, pages freezing and very very slow. Since I can't go back to 7 can someone tell me how to solve thes problems in a very simple explanation. Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a complete techno idiot. That being said since i made the mistake by installing 8 I am having problems like not being able to scroll up or down, pages freezing and very very slow. Since I can't go back to 7 can someone tell me how to solve thes problems in a very simple explanation. Thanks
Make sure your iPad was backed up recently.

Update iTunes on your computer. Then connect your iPad to it, select it and click "Check for updates". Then select "Download and update".

Your iPad will be updated, the latest software just was released, and it's 8.1.
After updating, reset your device, using Home and Power button.

If you want to restore, you'll get the same result (software). Here's how to do this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Last edited:

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do checked for updates in settings and 8.1 was ready to be updated. I updated an it is still very slow?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do checked for updates in settings and 8.1 was ready to be updated. I updated an it is still very slow?
You updated over the air, which means using Wi-Fi only.

I was suggesting to connect the iPad to a computer and use iTunes to update your iPad. It's also described in the link I provided.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, so far so good although after it was all done and dusted I found over 2,500 old emails had reappeared and that my iCloud usage had jumped from 2.4GB to 4.95GB! In the case of the latter I deleted the whole iCloud back-up and then backed up again and that seems to have restored volumes to the 2.4GB or so expected.

The restore and reset as suggested above seems to have eliminated the freezes and automatic restarts - and has also increased the free space from 9GB to 25GB! I can't see anything missing from the restore so I assume that something had gone wrong with the disc management, perhaps causing the unacceptable behaviour after updating to iOS8.n

429benz: I recommend following the steps above, namely a full back-up to iCloud and your PC via iTunes. Then go through the restore steps as shown in italics in my top post which were suggested by Aerofly but also taking into account the comments by J.A. at both Sunday at 10:48 AM and Sunday at 9:49 PM.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Most reactions

Latest posts