What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help, I'm stuck in safe mode.

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

I got some thing I had ordered in the mail today. They were a few iPad accessories. One of them was a USB hub.

I connected the USB hub with a camera connection kit and started reconnecting it with flash drives plugged into it to test it out. So I connected a 4GB flash drive with it and it mounted fine. Then I tried connecting a 4GB and a 2GB at the same time. they mounted fine, no problem. Then I tried connecting two 4GB drives and the 2Gb drive at the same time. This time I couldn't get them to mount. So I tried connecting just the two 4GB drives at the same time, and my iPad rebooted and went into safe mode.

I unplugged the USB hub and tried rebooting and no luck I was still in safe mode. I tried rebooting again, and still no luck.

So, I don't know what else to try at this point. It wasn't a software issue, whatever happened, so I can't just uninstall the offending program.

What should I do?

Please respond quickly, so I can straighten this out.

Thanks.

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uhm, try holding the Power and Home button simultaneously for like 15-30 seconds then release. See if it fixes that.

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I need to do an iTunes restore? I'd really prefer I didn't have to.

Does anyone know how to help me in this situation or should I go to jailbreakqa?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What app or tweak were you using to mount those flash drives? That may be what's hung up. Try uninstalling that app or tweak and see if that helps you get out of Safe Mode.

Marilyn

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Marilyn:

I tried that already :-(

I was using iFile and USB Mounting Toggle Switch. Like I said I thought maybe that would solve the problem too, so I removed both of them and rebooted, but to no avail.

I don't know what else to do! I really really don't want to do an iTunes restore, because I have some files on here that I don't want to loose, but I already tried transferring them to an external storage device and iFile wouldn't load.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried going back to Cydia and reinstalling iFile? Once you uninstalled it/rebooted the iPad, maybe try again with the Cydia install? Did you use Cydia to UNinstall iFile? Sometimes, if you take it off yourself, without going through Cydia, you cause more problems for yourself. Hopefully, using Cydia to put it back on may re-load it right.

Honestly, that's all I can think of. And, I think it is iFile that's messing you up. So, unfortunately, unless you can get iFile to "behave," I'm afraid you are facing a restore.

Sorry, but I'm all out of options.

Marilyn

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Have you tried going back to Cydia and reinstalling iFile? Once you uninstalled it/rebooted the iPad, maybe try again with the Cydia install? Did you use Cydia to UNinstall iFile? Sometimes, if you take it off yourself, without going through Cydia, you cause more problems for yourself. Hopefully, using Cydia to put it back on may re-load it right.

Honestly, that's all I can think of. And, I think it is iFile that's messing you up. So, unfortunately, unless you can get iFile to "behave," I'm afraid you are facing a restore.

Sorry, but I'm all out of options.

Marilyn

Hey Marilyn,

I figured it out. It wasn't iFile or USB toggle switch, it was Bigify+. I had had a safe mode problem with the Bigify+ package once before too.

For reference I went into SBSettings and went to Mobile Substrate Add-Ons and disabled everything then resprung. This took my iPad out of safe mode. Then I just had to isolate which package was causing the problem. So I figured out it was Bigify+ and removed it in Cydia. Now everything is back to normal.

It might just be the package itself or might be because I use Shrink too and they conflict with each other, but either way there is an issue there that I have experienced twice now. I wasn't using it for anything permanent anyway, so it's ok I had to remove it.

But no, I removed iFile in Cydia when I tried that. I didn't do it myself. I've reinstalled it since then, and like I said everything is back to working order.

Thanks for trying to help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whew! Glad you got it fixed.

And yeah, I wouldn't run two tweaks together that do essentially the same thing (Shrink and Bigafy). Good pick on Shrink - that's one of my faves. :)

And, thanks for highlighting the technique of disabling the Mobile Substrate items to figure out what was wrong. Not only is that a reminder to me for any other trouble-shooting problem (to ensure I recommend that), but it also may help someone else coming along with a Safe Mode problem. So, appreciate it.

Again, yay!

Marilyn

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey man that's very good news that you solved it! Good info!

And that's even more exciting to see a USB Hub expansion for memory especially the games you talked about!

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Whew! Glad you got it fixed.

And yeah, I wouldn't run two tweaks together that do essentially the same thing (Shrink and Bigafy). Good pick on Shrink - that's one of my faves. :)

And, thanks for highlighting the technique of disabling the Mobile Substrate items to figure out what was wrong. Not only is that a reminder to me for any other trouble-shooting problem (to ensure I recommend that), but it also may help someone else coming along with a Safe Mode problem. So, appreciate it.

Again, yay!

Marilyn

Yeah it's handier than having to uninstall and reinstall all of your packages, when you can just disable them with like effect.

Most reactions

Latest posts