What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help, I'm dumb as a rock.....

YaddaYadda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm 76 and a confirmed Luddite. Our daughter gave my wife a iPad2. Model MGTX2LL/A...version 9.2.1 (13D15), ser# DMPNHCAXG5W1. Daughter says this iPad does not support cellular.

She is probably right....but my wife really wants to use this iPad via Verizon cellular, when we are traveling in our RV. Her smart phone now works with Verizon cellular.

So....does this iPad now work with cellular ? If not....can a new SIM card be installed ? And/or can her smart phone be used as a hot spot....for the iPad ?

Thanks in advance

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Chances are your wife's smart phone has a hotspot feature. This creates a local wi-fi network that the iPad can join and use when mobile. It's not quite as convinient as having a cellular capable iPad, but it's close.

How to activate the hotspot on the phone varies depending on the phone's OS and version; but the iPad just sees it as another wi-fi spot that it can join.

Keep in mind the iPad will be using the smartphones data allowance. It will also drain the phone's battery faster than usual; so it's best to turn it on only when the iPad is in use.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm 76 and a confirmed Luddite. Our daughter gave my wife a iPad2. Model MGTX2LL/A...version 9.2.1 (13D15), ser# DMPNHCAXG5W1. Daughter says this iPad does not support cellular.

She is probably right....but my wife really wants to use this iPad via Verizon cellular, when we are traveling in our RV. Her smart phone now works with Verizon cellular.

So....does this iPad now work with cellular ? If not....can a new SIM card be installed ? And/or can her smart phone be used as a hot spot....for the iPad ?

Hello Yadda x2 - I entered your serial # above on the EveryMac website and you forgot to put a very important additional term in your description, i.e. you were given an iPad Air 2, a MUCH more recent model (see the screen capture below of its description) - a year ago last fall, I upgraded my iPad 2 (2011 release) to the iPad Air 2 - a great iPad, BUT (and like mine) you are limited to Wi-Fi only, i.e. there is no way to add cellular to this device, sorry.

Thus, the iPad has to connect to a Wi-Fi network and several options include: 1) Staying in your RV where local Wi-Fi networks are available (lots of free ones in coffee shops, restaurants, etc. - on the road, wife & I have Wi-Fi only iPads, so we stay at places w/ that service); 2) Obtaining a Verizon plan for the iPhone that can setup a Wi-Fi hotspot - this will cost extra (wife has an iPhone 6 but not a plan for this option); and 3) Obtain a MiFi Device, which will setup a local Wi-Fi network via cellular - an extra cost and likely offered by Verizon - check w/ them. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 6.45.25 PM.png

OP
Y

YaddaYadda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK.....a belated 18 months later......A THOUSAND THANKS. BetterHalf hooked onto SIL's Verizon account when she bought a Verizon smart phone and also bought a Verizon JetPack 5501, for in the house, so one way or another, there is either cellular or WiFi on the road in the RV... or at home.

I lost track of this forum and just now found username and password.

Now....DW thinks the battery is not holding a charge. She has pronounced the charger OK. Is there a way to check for sure...not just charging and watch the battery icon go down while doing web surfing and some kind of internal chat she does with our daughter ? This is a 3 y/o iPad (?)

Apple will do a replacement for $99 but it means mailing off....and she would rather not do this. There could be a Apple approved store locally but not sure exactly which battery to ask for. mAhours is confusing to Luddites like us.

Any advice will be appreciated.

TIA

OP
Y

YaddaYadda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi J7....one Apple approved store told me the screen has to come off...and possibly damage could occur elsewhere.....$200. Sound right ?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That doesn’t sound right to me. It shouldn’t cost more than Apple's price and they should be able to replace the battery without damaging anything else.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi J7....one Apple approved store told me the screen has to come off...and possibly damage could occur elsewhere.....$200. Sound right ?
The screen does have to come off but there is no reason for an Apple approved repair centre to charge more than the official price for a battery replacement.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The screen does have to come off but there is no reason for an Apple approved repair centre to charge more than the official price for a battery replacement.

Hello again Yadda - changing an iPad's battery is complex, difficult, and prone to errors - check this iFixit Guide (first pic below) - removing the glass is just the beginning, as is evident in reviewing the link.

Now, there are a number of options as explained HERE for battery replacement, several disappear if out of warranty - your Apple quote is correct, i.e. $99 + shipping - BUT, see Apple's KB article on the topic - part is quoted in the second pic which is important to read, including the links, such as 'Prepare Your iPad' - you need to backup and erase your iPad and are likely to receive a 'new' or 'refurb' replacement iPad that you will have to restore from your backup - I cannot imagine that Apple repair really goes through the steps in the iFixit link to replace the battery in your original device, but not sure? But regardless, a restore is still needed.

I also have an iPad Air 2 with a 'dying' battery (it's health is just over 50% after 500+ cycles) - see third pic below from an evaluation using Coconut Battery, a free app that runs on a Mac computer - my plan since this is a 3+ year old device is to buy a new iPad, then erase and sell the old one online. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 5.13.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 5.12.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 5.18.51 PM.png

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I maybe mistaken but I thought Ipad battery last forever or can’t be replaced.

Hey Thomas - well, wrong on both accounts; first, lithium-ion batteries start deteriorating right after production - Apple usually states (depending on the device & battery) that their batteries can hold 80% of original capacity after 500-1000 'complete' charging cycles - my iPad Air 2 battery is 50% dead at the moment w/ just 500+ cycles, so a premature failing in my mind. Second, batteries can certainly be replaced in these iDevices but is a difficult task (if not already done, then take a look at the iFixit link) - often as in my case, the issue may be whether to replace a battery on an older device or simply buy a new one? Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts