What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help i need some body!

dflash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI
Recently i was viewing a video about jailbreakme 3.0

link about the video:
[Moderator edit: Removed link to unnecessary video. Unnecessary because (1) not needed for this discussion, and (2) tutorials are already covered (quite well, IMNSHO) in the Hacking section - to include a tutorial on jailbreaking with JailBreakMe. Thanks.]

But the uploader commented that:
"BEWARE OF UPDATES. IF YOU ARE JAILBROKEN WITH JAILBREAKME DO NOT UPDATE WHEN APPL RELEASES NEW FIRMWARE."

Now I updated my ipad 2 to ios 5.0.1, so if there is another update i have to delete cydia / restore my ipad 2 or something, but what if i update my jailbreaked ipad 2 (what will happen)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are talking about an iPad2 that is currently running iOS 4.3.3 - you will lose that jailbreak if you update the iPad2 to iOS 5.0.1. There is no jail break for the iPad2 on any other version than 4.3.3 (and JailbreakMe is the only jail break package available).

So, if you want to remain jail broken, do not upgrade off of 4.3.3 until/unless there is a jailbreak available at the iOS to which you wish to upgrade.

But, I've got to give a caveat here: It is the feeling in the jail breaking community that the next jailbreak for the iPad2/iPhone 4S (the A5 devices) will be on iOS 5.0.1. That jailbreak is being worked on.

BUT - if Apple upgrades their iOS for anything higher than iOS 5.0.1 before the jailbreak is released, you will have to make a decision. Because of the way that iOS 5 is working (courtesy of Apple), if you do NOT upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 before Apple closes the window to do so, you will be stuck at iOS 4.3.3 while you wait for a jailbreak. IOW, if you don't move up to iOS 5.0.1, Apple closes the window and a jailbreak is subsequently released for 5.0.1, you will NOT be able to upgrade to that version (you'll only be able to go to the newest official Apple firmware).

Okay. Sorry, but a simple question got a bit complicated. See this thread here to see what other people are doing about staying on iOS 4.3.3 or upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 and waiting: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59147-whos-upgrading-their-ipad-2-5-0-1-whos-waiting.html

Honestly, it's a crap shoot. But, I think every jailbreaker needs to be mindful of this. So, sorry, but your thread became another opportunity for me to remind people to stay alert and pay attention to the "news"! :D

Here's the link to keep watch on for the latest iPad2/jailbreaking news: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/44596-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread.html

Marilyn

P.S. Oh, and I've moved your thread over to our Hacking section, as it discusses a jailbroken iPad2 and what to do...

Most reactions

Latest posts