What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[HELP] I did a stupid thing

animalcooler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Ipad 2 - 5.01 jailbroken.
I was trying to restore to original 5.01 with the ipad restore (erase all data)

Now, the Ipad is on a black screen for 3 hours, with a loading icon in progress.

Please, what I can do for that issue?

[despair]

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you've probably "broken" your jail break. You cannot do a restore on the iPad as stock iPads can and its best to avoid any of the on-iPad restore/reset functions. And, even if you use iTunes, the iPad2 cannot be restored to/with iOS 5.0.1 as that firmware version is no longer signed by Apple. You can only restore to iOS 5.1.

I'm going to assume that you've tried to do a reset (hold both Home and sleep button until screen blanks and Apple logo returns)?

Your only recourse is to put the iPad into DFU mode and then restore it to iOS 5.1. Yeah, it's not a version that has a jail break, and you'll have to wait for one, but at least you'll have a working iPad.

Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
A

animalcooler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mayrling, but I did not it.

I did the following: Settings / Reset / Erase All Content and Settings

Now, Ipad is all black with only the small ball icon of loading.

Please help me...

OP
A

animalcooler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I´m trying to reset holding the home button and sleep, but nothing happens...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are going to have to restore that iPad. Which will put iOS 5.1 on it. Sorry, but that's the only thing you can do now if you want a working iPad.

So, put your iPad into DFU mode using the directions in this sticky here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?p=196463

Remember to have your iPad hooked up to your computer and iTunes closed when you start.

After the iPad is in DFU mode, open iTunes and follow the prompts to restore it.

Sorry, again.

Marilyn

OP
A

animalcooler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marylin, I got putting Ipad in DFU mode.
Itunes openned automatically. Now I need to click on RESTORE?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, that's all you need to do, iTunes will do the rest.

Here's hoping you have a recent backup, because then you can restore using the backup (all done with iTunes prompting). Obviously, with the backup, you won't get the jail break stuff, but at least you'll have all your "regular" apps and data.

So, bottom line - let iTunes do the work and follow the prompts.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
A

animalcooler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot!

It´s working, I think.

ALL WEBSITES and YOUTUBE VIDEOS I´ve looked for teach to restoring a JB Ipad with onscreen erase. They´re a all wrong.

Thanks
Andre

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ALL WEBSITES and YOUTUBE VIDEOS I´ve looked for teach to restoring a JB Ipad with onscreen erase. They´re a all wrong.

Yeah, as a general rule, you never want to mess with the on-iPad restore "stuff." Ever. Else, you'll end up as you did, stuck in a boot loop with no way out but to restore.

Sorry for your trouble (and jail break loss), but I am glad your iPad is now working. Now, just join the rest of us in waiting for a jail break for iOS 5.1...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts