What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help...having trouble restoring after installing iOS 5

ineed2paint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So on the second time trying to install iOS 5, I didn't get an error message when restoring. Now it is asking for my password and it is not accepting the password I always use for iTunes. Any suggestions?

Dianne

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So on the second time trying to install iOS 5, I didn't get an error message when restoring. Now it is asking for my password and it is not accepting the password I always use for iTunes. Any suggestions?

Dianne

I don't remember a password during the update. Are you in the navigation menu on ipad when it turns back on after the apps are resynced?

Greenrooster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It asked me for my Apple ID and password not the iTunes ID used when you buy something from the app store. They are different. It is setting up your iCloud and messenger accounts. If you can't remember, just create a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidGD

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But it's rejecting a password; if you put any password in to set up iCloud it wouldn't reject it.

I have the same problem; I think it's asking for the encryption password, though in my case I can't recall encrypting the backup and I haven't entered it in Splash ID, which I normally would. I'm guessing though that unless it's erroneously rejecting the password the only answer is to let it set it up as new and then install each app from your itunes account - but that way you would lose any data you haven't backed up separately. Is there a way round this?

OP
I

ineed2paint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's what I ended up having to do. It will NOT let me restore. Rejects every password I throw at it. What a pain in the butt this is turning into.

On a good note tho....this iOS5 is awesome!

baanestad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It finally worked for me!

I was updating my iPhone yesterday (as I'm doing with the iPad now) and I had some problems with password as well... We have one iPad, 2 iPhones and one iPod - for all of them we use the same Apple ID (which was also the same for iTunes purchases). It wouldn't accept my password either (or my ID, I still don't know exactly what happened) but I solved it by changing this main Apple ID to an e-mail ID form... Before, our ID used to be a "nick" kind of ID. Then, I also had to set a NEW password, because mine had 6 digits and now they "forced" me to change it to an 8 digit password, with at least one capital letter. I have tried to change it back to my old 6-digit password afterwards, but it won't accept it.

Then, since now there's this iCloud thing, with the "Find my iPhone" feature, I had to set a SECOND Apple ID... Just because if I use the same one, all of our devices will have the same contacts, mails, music, etc, and we don't want that. So, I configured my own iCloud, with a new Apple ID which will be used just for the iCloud, and it gave me an "@me.com" email account to be used as a new ID so we can store our data separately.
Now, to start using my devices, I had to CHANGE the former Apple ID on my device, to my new "email" ID kind, use my new 8-digit password (go to settings/iCloud for the iCloud, delete the old ID, and put the new one... For iTunes purchases, settings/store, and either change it if you want to use your new ID for everything, or just adjust the new 8-digit password you created for the main Apple ID you used to have), and voilá, it's all working good. Well my iPhone is working... My iPad is just about to finish the update so I'm sure I'll have to do all this all over again... And I cursed big time at iTunes and Apple last night, until I figured this whole mess up - but now that it's working, I am SO happy with it! The iOS5 rocks!!!
I'm sorry if this sounded confusing - it WAS very confusing to solve it!!! - but I'll be glad to try to help anyone through it, if I can! :) I basically just followed whatever the screen "told" me to do, and said "to heck with it, I'll risk it", and it worked! :p

Last edited:

baanestad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS!!! After I changed the old Apple ID to an "email" kind of ID (I used the same e-mail that I had registered with Apple/iTunes years ago, you don't need any new e-mails here!), and I created a new 8-digit password, I was finally able to restore my device perfectly, no need to reinstall anything, I didn't lose anything either, it automatically restored from backup! :) If you already use an e-mail as your main Apple ID/iTunes ID; no need to change it - just reset the password...

The new "@me.com" ID is just for the iCloud and the "Find my iPhone", so just ignore all this if it's too complicated... Do one thing at a time, don't do what I did haha.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Most reactions