What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for new owner with an iPad 1

skdking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am buying an iPad1, 3G, 16 GB to mainly browse the net, use Google maps, read eBooks and play computer games with my kids. I have a Sony Vaio laptop. I find it heavy, bulky and cumbersome to carry around.

I want to request iPad1 owners for valuable inputs: -

1. Can I do all the things given above, and similar things, without any additional software?

2. What is the implication of iPad1 not having Java or Flash support? Does it affect the experience much?

3. What apps are very much essential? Are they available only on payment? Do I need to buy apps for doing routine tasks?

4. I read that iTunes are required to listen to music on iPad1. Does it mean that I can not transfer my music collection to iPad1 via usb? Does it have regular usb port?

5. Considering that I have never used any Apple device till now what other surprises should I be ready for?

Thanks.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skdking said:
I am buying an iPad1, 3G, 16 GB to mainly browse the net, use Google maps, read eBooks and play computer games with my kids. I have a Sony Vaio laptop. I find it heavy, bulky and cumbersome to carry around.

1. Can I do all the things given above, and similar things, without any additional software?

2. What is the implication of iPad1 not having Java or Flash support? Does it affect the experience much?

3. What apps are very much essential? Are they available only on payment? Do I need to buy apps for doing routine tasks?

4. I read that iTunes are required to listen to music on iPad1. Does it mean that I can not transfer my music collection to iPad1 via usb? Does it have regular usb port?

5. Considering that I have never used any Apple device till now what other surprises should I be ready for?

Thanks.

Ok, here goes.....

1. Yes it can but bear in mind for things like computer games, only iPad compatible games will work but there are many, many, so many in fact we have a whole forum here devoted just to games.

2. For me, I don't miss Flash at all. Others have been affected but only if they need to visit flash based websites. HTML 5 is the future and even Adobe the makers of flash have acknowledged this now by stopping all development of mobile flash products.

3. Well that is wholly dependent on what you want to do with your iPad, out of the box you will have all the apps to do all the things you list in your post iBooks, Safari, Maps.....of course games you just download whatever ones you want. I have plenty of stuff both free and paid, many of my most useful apps are free or cost next to nothing. There are very, very few really expensive apps.

4. The iPad comes with a Music app pre-installed, it also comes with a lead to connect to your computers USB socket. Just make sure you have downloaded the latest version of iTunes to your computer, drag your music into iTunes, connect the two, set up the sync options (choose to sync all, nothing or some of your music collection in ituneson your computer) and let the magic begin.

5. It's just grrrrrrreat fun.....the biggest surprise, you'll not get your kids away from it so you may have to buy a second iPad just for you!

Enjoy it, we are always here if you run into difficulties but you should be fine!

The Archangel

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks.
The only thing I would add to Gabriel's excellent post above is in regards to your fifth question. The iPad is a "gateway drug". You should be fully prepared for the inevitable...finding yourself unable to live without other Apple products...eventually abandoning everything PC. Just sayin'. ;)

OP
S

skdking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4. The iPad comes with a Music app pre-installed, it also comes with a lead to connect to your computers USB socket. Just make sure you have downloaded the latest version of iTunes to your computer, drag your music into iTunes, connect the two, set up the sync options (choose to sync all, nothing or some of your music collection in itunes on your computer) and let the magic begin.

Enjoy it, we are always here if you run into difficulties but you should be fine!

The Archangel

Thanks for the amazing response.

Through this cable can I transfer and read my huge collection of eBooks while I am stuck at airports, or such things?

And, is file transfer through iTunes as simple as it is on windows XP or other OS? Drag and drop that is.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skdking said:
Thanks for the amazing response.

Through this cable can I transfer and read my huge collection of eBooks while I am stuck at airports, or such things?

And, is file transfer through iTunes as simple as it is on windows XP or other OS? Drag and drop that is.

Yes, use iTunes to transfer your books, depending on format you may need a different eBook app.

I find it easy to use iTunes, some don't but as I say, we are all here to help you if things get sticky.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an aside, if your iPad is on iOS 5 you can sync wirelessly, if it's not on iOS 5 you can upgrade to the latest version for free.

The Archangel

OP
S

skdking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an aside, if your iPad is on iOS 5 you can sync wirelessly, if it's not on iOS 5 you can upgrade to the latest version for free.

The Archangel

Thanks.

Can you please point me to a forum where all these tips are succinctly listed?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skdking said:
Thanks.

Can you please point me to a forum where all these tips are succinctly listed?

These two threads will help for starters.....this one is really for trouble shooting but gives excellent advice to follow when upgrading.......

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49421-ipad-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html

And this one is a beginners guide....it's a bit out of date so some screenshots won't be entirely the same but it's a good place to start......

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/3470-ipad-absolute-beginners.html

Also, on the iBooks Store there are excellent free guides "IPad User Guide for iOS 5" and "iPad User Guide for iOS 4" both are excellent and for free you won't go wrong!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts