What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help: error on line 1

schu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm at my wits end. I've upgraded my iPod Touch 3g to IOS5 and everything seemed fine. Afterwards, when I synced newly converted e-books (from PDF to epub using Calibre), this error appears:

"This page contains the following errors: error on line 1 at column 1: document is empty error on line 1 at column 1:Encoding error."

I've tried restoring my iPod but it still didn't work. Now, I don't even want to sync my iPad2 on my laptop. >_<

Somebody please help me.
sad.gif

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you gone this route before and it's worked OK - i.e. have you converted using Calibre before the upgrade to the new iOS and the process worked without any problem?

Tim

OP
S

schu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Yes. :( Everything was fine when I was using IOS4. I even upgraded my Calibre but it still didn't work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - in your original post you said that when you synched *newly converted ebooks* and I sort of took it from there that the ebooks that you'd previously converted could be read OK. In other words, I'm trying to work out whether the problem is with Calibre or with the iPad.

Tim

OP
S

schu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the problem is with my iPod 3g. When I read the e-book using Calibre, it works just fine. But after I sync it to my iPod, the error appears.

Sorry for the confusion. >_<

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I know there have been several incompatibility issues between some software and iOS5; it's almost inevitable with a major upgrade. Let's wait a short while and see if any other Members, who've used Calibre (I haven't) have experienced the same problem. If we don't get a response in a few hours (remember it's a world-wide Forum) then we'll try a few other possible solutions...

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure where you are located (I'm in Scotland), but feel free to PM me if you don't find a resolution to the problem. I don't want this to get 'lost' - I am frustrated when I can't solve a problem....:(

Tim
PS it's even sunny here today...

OP
S

schu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the Philippines. I've been frustrated as well, I've tried posting to the apple support community but no one has replied yet. >_<

Thank you so much for the offer. :) I'll probably try to downgrade to IOS4 if this doesn't work out. >_<

OP
S

schu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, shoot. Now I'm even more afraid to upgrade my iPad2 OS to version 5. :(

andrewcunliffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error message too

Hi

Yes, I too have the same line error message so you are not alone. I have reset the iPad to factory settings, resynced and have had no luck in getting the book to open. The cover and contents appear but not the text from page one onwards. Very frustrating as I am half way through reading Keith Richards autobiography!

Let's hope this bug can be fixed as I've exhausted all options.

Most reactions

Latest posts