What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

pvonk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new 3G iPad is "officially" in the closet, awaiting wrapping by my wife for Christmas - but I have gotten it out a few times to initialize it, register, download apps, so I don't have to abandon everyone on Christmas morning to do these setup tasks.

I've had an iPod Touch for a number of years, so I am familiar with most of the basics that should carry forward to the iPad.

Q: Do users get better over time using the on-screen keyboard? I'm a touch typist and the habit of resting the fingers on top of the keys is tempting and disastrous. (On the Touch, there's no temptation to do this, but with the roomy landscape keyboard of the "Pad", there is.)

- Pierre

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps you should visit the closet a few more times so it doesn't get lonely.
No one will know your in there as the keyboard is silent.

Touch typists do find it annoying as you will never be as fast and you will be looking at the keyboard all the time to check your keys :(

That said I use a standard keyboard and that small alu mac keyboard as well as the iPad and you get used to the quirks of each. As with most things the more you use it the better you should get......:)
( qualifier deliberate)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

If you are going to be doing a lot of typing on your iPad, you might want to consider getting an external keyboard. With a camera connection kit (don't let the name fool you!), you can use a standard USB keyboard or the iPad supports BlueTooth keyboards.

OP
P

pvonk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I gave my son a Christmas Wish list that has (only) the Apple bluetooth keyboard. That should help with long typing sessions.

I didn't know that the camera connection kit could be used for other "things" - so, besides a keyboard, what else can be used with one? I know you can't attach an external HD.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using the CCK for other "things" than it was intended is an iffy proposition at best, especially with an external hard drive. I have seen some "creative" methods of doing this on a jailbroken iPad, but it requires a pretty high level of computer smarts to accomplish this.

Most reactions

Latest posts