What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello world!

jencrazyness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is its possible to install a Microsoft in Ipad? I need to use Ms Excel for my online job.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is its possible to install a Microsoft in Ipad? I need to use Ms Excel for my online job.

A lot of people have had success with Apple's app "Numbers ($9.99, USD). It's their version of Excel and it works pretty well.

I am sure there are more apps available in the AppStore. Maybe a search there using the term "Excel"? Or, maybe someone else i]will be along to tell what they are using...

Marilyn

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score

As Marylin said Numbers is the official Excel app for iOS, but its free on any device that you bought after 1st September, 2013, that is any device that came preloaded on iOS 7 will have some complementary free apps including Numbers (Excel), Pages (word) and Keynote(Powerpoint).

KTiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in alternative alternatives as well so I can open and xls file on my iPad. Anybody tried Smartoffice?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are going to be online anyway, and hopefully with decent bandwidth, you could try CloudOn or OnLive. These provide you with access to server based versions of Microsoft Office. The interface is less than ideal, and depending on server load and your bandwidth it may be a bit slow, but it provides the closest thing to 100% compatibility with MS Office that you can get on an iPad. You'll also need a DropBox or Box account to copy files to/from the service.

If you don't have to actually use MS Office, Numbers is a good app. Probably the most full featured spreadsheet app you can get on the iPad. It does a good job of importing and exporting MS Office files; but is not the best choice if you are going to constantly move the same file back and forth between Excel and Numbers. Each conversion of the document can cause errors, which will probably accumulate each time it gets converted.

There are other third party MS Compatible apps that have decent MS Office compatibility, but are more limited in features. Since they don't convert the file (they just ignore features they can't edit or display) the chance of errors accumulating is less. The current darling of the tech media is hopTo. I have no experience with it, but you might find it worth checking out.

Also often mentioned, and worth comparing features:

QuickOffice
Office HD
Documents to Go

Most reactions