What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from pc land

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spangled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was raised on PCs but now have a few Apple devices. Not sure I will be buying any more, though, the way things have been going. Why can't these things understand files? It causes all sorts of issues.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was raised on PCs but now have a few Apple devices. Not sure I will be buying any more, though, the way things have been going. Why can't these things understand files? It causes all sorts of issues.
If you're talking about iOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod), you need to understand that iOS is an app-based operating system, as opposed to file-based operating systems like a PC. In order to download or use a file on iOS you first need to have an app installed that can read or use that file. Without the ability to read/use a file, that file is nothing more than a waste of space.

You may not want to hear this, but the issues you're facing exist because of your lack of knowledge rather than the devices themselves. Things will be much easier for you once you unlearn what you've learned about PC's and learn how iOS does things.

OP
S

Spangled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspected as much. However, a friend airdropped some lecture recordings (large files) onto my iPad.

The only app that would play them was iMovie (as a soundclip relating to a non-existent movie). Now I can only play them in iMovie, but what I want to do is extract them somehow to Mac or PC so I can publish them to a website.

When using ftp, I need the file. How do I find it? iTunes doesn't see them either.

This is where things being app-based becomes tiresome.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suspected as much. However, a friend airdropped some lecture recordings (large files) onto my iPad.

The only app that would play them was iMovie (as a soundclip relating to a non-existent movie). Now I can only play them in iMovie, but what I want to do is extract them somehow to Mac or PC so I can publish them to a website.

When using ftp, I need the file. How do I find it? iTunes doesn't see them either.

This is where things being app-based becomes tiresome.

Hello, I just responded to your other post HERE where you left the same question about transferring recordings - so as not to fragment this discussion between two different threads, I would suggest that future posters add their comments to the linked one. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Along with seconding giradman's excellent advice about nor fragmenting the discussion of this problem, I'll now close this thread to future responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts