Hello from pc land

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by Spangled, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spangled

Spangled
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I was raised on PCs but now have a few Apple devices. Not sure I will be buying any more, though, the way things have been going. Why can't these things understand files? It causes all sorts of issues.

2. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    If you're talking about iOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod), you need to understand that iOS is an app-based operating system, as opposed to file-based operating systems like a PC. In order to download or use a file on iOS you first need to have an app installed that can read or use that file. Without the ability to read/use a file, that file is nothing more than a waste of space.

You may not want to hear this, but the issues you're facing exist because of your lack of knowledge rather than the devices themselves. Things will be much easier for you once you unlearn what you've learned about PC's and learn how iOS does things.

3. Spangled

Spangled
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I suspected as much. However, a friend airdropped some lecture recordings (large files) onto my iPad.

The only app that would play them was iMovie (as a soundclip relating to a non-existent movie). Now I can only play them in iMovie, but what I want to do is extract them somehow to Mac or PC so I can publish them to a website.

When using ftp, I need the file. How do I find it? iTunes doesn't see them either.

This is where things being app-based becomes tiresome.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I just responded to your other post HERE where you left the same question about transferring recordings - so as not to fragment this discussion between two different threads, I would suggest that future posters add their comments to the linked one. Dave :)

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Along with seconding giradman's excellent advice about nor fragmenting the discussion of this problem, I'll now close this thread to future responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.