What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from northern California!

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody and greetings from Sacramento!

So glad I found this great and friendly ipad forum! I am brand new to the Apple world and wanted to jump in with the Apple ipad.

I am a bit technologically challenged. I just turned 54, and I have never had a cell phone, laptop or crackberry. I do have an Amazon Kindle for reading which I love but I needed something light and portable to surf the web and check the newsfeeds when I am out and about traveling.

The big decision for me is to figure out which ipad model to get, the wifi only or the 3G, and how much memory. I do foresee inputting and editing lots of pictures (advanced amateur) so will probably go with either 32 or 64 gigs of memory along with the camera tether accessory. Lots of decisions to make until the pre-order day arrives!

Best Wishes to all!

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Eeyore, welcome to the site. Your never too old to enjoy a new toy! And Apple stuff is usually quite easy to learn, very intuitive.

As far as the size, pictures don't usually take up too much space, about as much as a single MP3 now a days for the larger photographs... movies are really the space killer.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the site..hope to see you with a ipad soon!:)

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is for 7 to 77 years old

Hello everybody and greetings from Sacramento!

So glad I found this great and friendly ipad forum! I am brand new to the Apple world and wanted to jump in with the Apple ipad.

I am a bit technologically challenged. I just turned 54, and I have never had a cell phone, laptop or crackberry. I do have an Amazon Kindle for reading which I love but I needed something light and portable to surf the web and check the newsfeeds when I am out and about traveling.

The big decision for me is to figure out which ipad model to get, the wifi only or the 3G, and how much memory. I do foresee inputting and editing lots of pictures (advanced amateur) so will probably go with either 32 or 64 gigs of memory along with the camera tether accessory. Lots of decisions to make until the pre-order day arrives!

Best Wishes to all!

Welcome here from Asia

I can recommend you the wifi with 3G , but concerning the size it depend ... but you can't made lot of edition with so maybe 32 G can be enough , except if you want to bring many movie or TV show ....

Is never too late for use modern device and Apple is made for everybody , not like some other made only for geek and nerd

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Eeyore and Welcome to the Forums ;)

If your not going to be out on the road much away from WiFi, or need long sessions or periods away from Wifi, then I would suggest saving a little and go with Wifi only version and use the savings to go with a model with more storage memory.

Just a side(long) note, since you say you haven't much experience with other devices other than Kindle. I can say as a regular traveler finding WiFi hot spots is not always the norm as it used to be. More and more, people and businesses alike are securing their WiFi networks and its not as easy as just jumping on as before.

Most McDonalds (Wayport) and Barnes & Nobles (also Wayport) started by giving all AT&T users free Wifi and have since then allowed everyone onto the network. I have installed these systems and the McDonalds ones are the least reliable, they have constant network issues or weak signals outside of their store. Barnes however has good coverage within and some distance in the parking lots.

Staples and other office type retail stores offer free WiFi and you can connect outside as well.
Local gas stations or convenient stores like Sheetz, 711, MiniMarts or Truck stop places like Flying J, Travel Centers of America, Stop n Go, all offer Wifi but sometimes more often than not, you need to have a pay account.

Hotels/Motels all offer Wifi and are typically for guests only. Good luck finding passwords to allow access while sitting outside.

I'm only offering these suggestions as I have dealt with having to be on the road with WiFi only devices and have to hen pick to locate a reliable fast network to accomplish work on said device.

3G once I went with the iPhone early on, changed all that for me the. The first feeling I got was immediate freedom of no worry connection (most often) with no more hen pecking about for WiFi networks. Most places I travel through have 3G and some places you wouldn't even expect, middle of forest (Rothrock State Forest PA) for one and other precarious locations you wouldn't expect to find 3G, but for the most part at least Edge network is available while out on highways.

I would go myself with a WiFi only, mainly due to already having a data connection with the iPhone and using jailbreaking to obtain tethering with my Macbook or future iPad. :ipad-case:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connect Ipad to you're Iphone 3Gs

I would go myself with a WiFi only, mainly due to already having a data connection with the iPhone and using jailbreaking to obtain tethering with my Macbook or future iPad. :ipad-case:

Hi Abble how will you connect you're Ipad with you're Iphone, this can be an interesting solution for many of us

OP
E

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AbblePC, thank-you so very much for the valuable information and insight on the ipad! I appreciate the advice and you are correct that it is harder to find unlocked Wifi sites. I remember people at work moaning and groaning about the lack of access areas other than the local Starbucks.

We travel to visit our extended family up and down the coast several times a year so I will definitely add 3G to the list! The Kindle never had 3G connection problems so with it added to the Ipad I should be set.

Thanks again for the helpful advice, AbblePC and IpadOne!

Best Wishes to all!

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad can't call but you can call him

AbblePC, thank-you so very much for the valuable information and insight on the ipad! I appreciate the advice and you are correct that it is harder to find unlocked Wifi sites. I remember people at work moaning and groaning about the lack of access areas other than the local Starbucks.

We travel to visit our extended family up and down the coast several times a year so I will definitely add 3G to the list! The Kindle never had 3G connection problems so with it added to the Ipad I should be set.

Thanks again for the helpful advice, AbblePC and IpadOne!

Best Wishes to all!

You're welcome, as i say in other thread, if you just plan to use it at home Wifi is enough but if you travel around you should buy wifi+3G , if Apple didn't made one with 3G i believe the device will fall on the dead swimming pool

What i am surprised about this device , is the missing web cam , and the phone possibility even with a bluetooth headset , is not necessary function but for many people that can be really useful

Vivrichards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Abble,

What is the name of the jailbroken program that enables tethering?

I would go myself with a WiFi only, mainly due to already having a data connection with the iPhone and using jailbreaking to obtain tethering with my Macbook or future iPad. :ipad-case:[/QUOTE]

Most reactions

Latest posts